Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

5/19/2012 - Saving the Draw

• 2 years ago · Quote · #321

red_ratfan

people when i come on i have 49 new comments here 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #322

kingprawn

The number of sarcastic, incomprehending or critical comments posted is a measure of how abstruse the puzzle is. The person who set the puzzle should be congratulated, especially if the position arose in real play. I think explanation is called for.

I respond to Herbage: "Could somebody please explain. I don't understand. If black queen takes white queen, then white has lost two major pieces and black still has queen, rook and knight and can win surely?"

That is exactly the point! If black queen takes white queen then Black cannot win. Although not in check, White has no legal move and the game ends in stalemate, since his only 'free' pawn is pinned and to move his king would be moving into check. If Black moves his king to get out of check, then White wins Black's queen for the loss of the rook and lives to fight on.

This is a good result for White, since at the start of the puzzle Black is on the point of getting him in checkmate with Ng5 followed by Qh2. The next best option for White is to exchange queens on e5. The solution to the puzzle is White's ingenious response to his predicament.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #323

sivartalappes

LADY-GREY wrote:

Of course, but the black queen can take the white queen and there goes the draw!

The Black queen taking the White queen IS the draw!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #324

ottomate

I didnt get this one...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #325

Aquafog

nice one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #326

RavenousQueen

Cry[COMMENT DELETED]

No, just kidding. That was asowme!!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #327

davidklausa

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 2 years ago · Quote · #328

sahand13

po,j

• 2 years ago · Quote · #329

huyocshp

simple

• 2 years ago · Quote · #330

syedmuneer

I didnt understand 1. Rd8+ Kh7 2. Qg8+ Kg63. Rd6+ Qxd6 4. Qe6+

Why not 1. Qxe5, sacrifice queen in the beginning and still save the rook.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #331

BryanCFB

syedmuneer wrote:

I didnt understand 1. Rd8+ Kh7 2. Qg8+ Kg63. Rd6+ Qxd6 4. Qe6+

Why not 1. Qxe5, sacrifice queen in the beginning and still save the rook.

If 1. Qxe5, after 1...Nxe5 white doesn't have enough material to draw and there is no stalemate so black will go on to win.

• 15 months ago · Quote · #332

Orange_Mouse

not the best.

Post your reply: