Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

6/16/2012 - Mate in 4

• 22 months ago · Quote · #81

JoseO

This was fun to solve.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #82

damongross

Very clever!  Illustrates the power of a perfectly placed bishop!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #83

Jacob30

hmmz

• 22 months ago · Quote · #84

gkilmain

that was fun. f-u-n. wooo!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #85

KittyAX

easy

• 22 months ago · Quote · #86

KumarAnkur

ultimate

• 22 months ago · Quote · #87

ZacWilson

pleasant use of the pinned pawn tactic.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #88

zafaria

good pazzle (jaleb bood)

• 22 months ago · Quote · #89

Paprika2215

Fun and simple. Nice puzzle!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #90

deepak64

Very good puzzle.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #91

inthegreenroom

6th page!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #92

mithukumari442

nice puzzle..

• 22 months ago · Quote · #93

PiPPoI

Not verry difficult, but still lots of fun.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #94

FredBatchelor

I did not find it easy. Was not sure of the first moves because I couldn't envision the end until i got there. Had to work through it and it was worth the effort.  Oh, and I'm on the prestigious 6th page. 

• 22 months ago · Quote · #95

VaBiker

Nice.....subtle....got it on the first try.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #96

roxfox

Cool!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #97

balapsyche

Nice - took some time to see the trick.
    Black waiting to mate at the other end !!

• 22 months ago · Quote · #98

ANASTASIA_1995LONDRA

yea diz 1 iz gud cuz even if da horse killz da rook it wud still b a checkmate ...

• 22 months ago · Quote · #99

sreyas1234

It was a very nice and easy puzzle.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #100

BryanCFB

dufferps wrote:

This is one I would never get in a game.  Only knowing that there is a checkmate in the offing for Black will let me find this sequence for White - particularly the key rook sacrifice which puts the Black King at h8, behind the pinned pawn.

Then again .... in a game I would be desparate enough to try any attack, since I can find no defense against the threatened ... Qg2#.  It is clear that my only defense is an offense - meaning every move must check the Black King.  The first move is a pretty easy choice.  I can check with 1.Qd8+ or with 1.Re8+.  I like my Queen's position, and my Rook is doing nothing vital (given that the immediate threat is ...Qg2#, and ...Qe1# is superfluous).  So my "last ditch" effort would be 1.Re8+ (and I pray that Black defends by interposing his Knight, allowing me to move 2.Qxg7#).

But no, Black escapes, 2. ... Kh7.  NOW, I must find a way to check the Black King (staving off ...Qg2#), and my choices are a Queen sacrifice and a Rook sacrifice.  Experience with chess.com puzzles tells me that a Queen sacrifice is the way to go, but in a game I would normally prefer sacrificing a Rook to sacrificing my Queen ---- and, Hey,
    2. Rh8+  Kxh8  puts Black's King at h8, - still vulnerable to a check by my Queen, and now 3.Qh6+ is not a Queen sacrifice; the Black King is no longer on an adjacent square to capture my Queen, and my Bishop has the g7 pawn PINNED, and unable to capture my Queen.  How fortunate!
    Black King escapes to g8, but now I have an easy checkmate -- 4.Qxg7#.

And all because I was forced, by Black's imminent ...Qg2#, to check Black's King on every move.

Very well explained.

Post your reply: