Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

6/20/2014 - The Long Draw

• 6 months ago · Quote · #241

novzki41

amazing!!! 

• 6 months ago · Quote · #242

Capadorada

This is the dumbest puzzle ever. Black could win several times.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #243

anildash

if black takes the queen then it will be stalemate...

• 6 months ago · Quote · #244

SipayungJanggirleto

thanks for the puzzle..

• 6 months ago · Quote · #245

Dae_Myung

Hey, why isn't the black queen capturing the white queen??

• 6 months ago · Quote · #246

Dae_Myung

Ok, I get it

• 6 months ago · Quote · #247

Bobcat

at last!

• 6 months ago · Quote · #248

Nielzzoz

LaBenezra wrote:

really, why doesnt the black queen just take the white's on move 5 when black checks white? Isn't a stalemate a draw?

LaBenezra your rate in chessMentor is good above 1500 , just remember the stalement condition ,white will continue for ever to check Black and will never take the black queen and will come once in time to face black only with this condition white is looking for adraw only he is loosing  ,THIS idea of this buzzle is really great.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #249

catenaccio11

MeTristan wrote:

so what if black doesn't queen the pawn but converts it into a rook instead? (sorry if this has been asked before)

• 6 months ago · Quote · #250

BryanCFB

catenaccio11 wrote:
    MeTristan wrote:

so what if black doesn't queen the pawn but converts it into a rook instead? (sorry if this has been asked before)

That's actually a very good question, as I never considered 2...f1=R, and I don't recall anyone other than you mentioning it.  It does give black a very slight material advantage, white has zero winning chances as there is no way to checkmate with just a queen and no way to win a rook as the rooks are connected, and there will be no stalemate, but white can just keep checking forever, and the result will still be a draw.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #251

melogibbo

missed this puzzle due to travelling, guess this could be my first last post.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #252

MSC157

Sorry melogibbo. ;)

So do I, not due to travelling tho unfortunately, but due to learning for the last exam in Monday. :)

• 6 months ago · Quote · #253

Nielzzoz

melogibbo wrote:

missed this puzzle due to travelling, guess this could be my first last post.

safety trip

• 6 months ago · Quote · #254

Nielzzoz

Dae_Myung wrote:

Hey, why isn't the black queen capturing the white queen??

read prevoius posts.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #255

Timo986

w

• 6 months ago · Quote · #256

Nielzzoz

BryanCFB wrote:
    catenaccio11 wrote:
    MeTristan wrote:

That's actually a very good question, as I never considered 2...f1=R, and I don't recall anyone other than you mentioning it.  It does give black a very slight material advantage, white has zero winning chances as there is no way to checkmate with just a queen and no way to win a rook as the rooks are connected, and there will be no stalemate, but white can just keep checking forever, and the result will still be a draw.

Baryan CFB     i really like your post tracking comments of aothers and answering them that is very nice . But who could expect this action ,the issue is the surprise of the moves itself its true if been promoted as rook the game may have had other direction and black can won if sucrifice on of the rook because it can come to a point that the black king will be protected by one of the Rook blocking the black king from the white queen and at the same time the stalemate condition will not work more due to the fact that the white king has an area where can move it just depends on when the black king can find the way to check the white king continously untill they are in one line to take the queen but if am right or wrong the idea of the stalemate will not be valid any more so please track it and let me know your idea a bout my analysis.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #257

Block204

LOL

• 6 months ago · Quote · #258

BryanCFB

Nielzzoz wrote:
    BryanCFB wrote:
    catenaccio11 wrote:
    MeTristan wrote:

Baryan CFB     i really like your post tracking comments of aothers and answering them that is very nice . But who could expect this action ,the issue is the surprise of the moves itself its true if been promoted as rook the game may have had other direction and black can won if sucrifice on of the rook because it can come to a point that the black king will be protected by one of the Rook blocking the black king from the white queen and at the same time the stalemate condition will not work more due to the fact that the white king has an area where can move it just depends on when the black king can find the way to check the white king continously untill they are in one line to take the queen but if am right or wrong the idea of the stalemate will not be valid any more so please track it and let me know your idea a bout my analysis.

Where can black's king ever go that the only available check or checks by white's queen can be blocked by one of the two rooks?  White just keeps checking on squares where a rook cannot block.  So 2...f1=R is a draw.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #259

Nielzzoz

BryanCFB wrote:
    Nielzzoz wrote:
    BryanCFB wrote:
    catenaccio11 wrote:
    MeTristan wrote:

Where can black's king ever go that the only available check or checks by white's queen can be blocked by one of the two rooks?  White just keeps checking on squares where a rook cannot block.  So 2...f1=R is a draw.

ya, its true a gree with you thanks for your attention.

• 6 months ago · Quote · #260

ChessNoviceUA

oh my God!... just only for GM... my mind is too weak for that marathon!

Post your reply: