Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

7/12/2012 - Mikanovic-Moisan Plante, Canada 2001

• 2 years ago · Quote · #101

shengyi

Solved.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #102

EricFleet

I appreciated the more challenging puzzle today. The pattern was a bit more complex, took me about a minute to see how the Queen and Bishop got into play.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #103

Valpo_rocks

Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #104

metalcsg

robson100 wrote:

I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #105

mvallejo70

Nice one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #106

ItsEoin

Challenging! Woohoo.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #107

_36darshan--

easy

• 2 years ago · Quote · #108

slowhare

1.Ne6+ was critcal move as Bxe6 blocked pawn's advance to clear escape path for King.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #109

Gil-Gandel

Valpo_rocks wrote:

Am I missing something?  Why would black take the bishop?

Leaving it is no better  - White is threatening Qh8# and the Black King can't get out of the box in time. 2. ... Rf6 and 2. ... Rf8 both allow 3. Qxg7# instead.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #110

Capechronicler

metalcsg wrote:
    robson100 wrote:

I think the puzzle is poor, there is no way and no need for black to have moved the bishop in that way............. ridiculous!

Before posting something like that, check that all your clues are in place. You're appreciation is incorrect. The key on the puzzle is black's bishop. Is the responsible of preventing mate. That's why, first, the knight has to move of the way forcing check, and second white's bishop on h6 pinning black's bishop on g7. Then, whether black captures or not, is mate in one induced by the queen.

Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #111

deepak64

Impossible puzzle to solve, as appeared to me. But solved. Nice.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #112

gauravvichare99

good one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #113

FredBatchelor

Mighty fine. On the prestigious 6th page no less!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #114

SameOldStory

Was just staring at the puzzle on the first page for about an hour,then i had to come in...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #115

worldoftanks

good one

• 2 years ago · Quote · #116

hawkeye62

How about 2.. Qd8 ?

• 2 years ago · Quote · #117

MartinUKL

I can't normally solve the past match scenarios, but I did this one.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #118

metalcsg

Capechronicler wrote:
    Absolutely correct- not dealing with the leaving the black bishop where it is leads to mate with Qh8#- the bishop cannot take the queen as it is pinned. The only other move is rook f6 which leads to Qxg7#. The only out for black was to stand up and petulantly flip the board in the air before stomping off muttering "stupid game anyway!" Whether this was seen as a resignation would depend on the relative sizes of the players.

Ha ha! Nice comment.Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #119

deepak21071974

hmm:)

• 2 years ago · Quote · #120

metalcsg

hawkeye62 wrote:

How about 2.. Qd8 ?

Is mate anyway 3. Qh8#.

Post your reply: