Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/13/2011 - Mate in 5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

cfrench49

Very good.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

rdynabll

Ingenious, but there is no way to resist the fork on the first move unless you are completely sure of those tactics.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

tintilineo99

I would go for the knight fork. Good puzzle!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

Jeffmon

AaronSolt- look at the 2nd post 2nd solution. 4...d4 and it's a mate in 6.

I'm pretty sure they would only give a checkmate puzzle that has one solution with the least amount of moves. All they have to do is computer check it.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

musicgreen619

cool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

renumeratedfrog01

Level 2400 puzzle at least...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

BryanCFB

AaronSolt wrote:

I hate puzzles like this. I come up with a great idea beginning with a knight fork, and it just say, "sorry, incorrect". Oh yeah? Then play against my move and see how incorrect it is. Checkmate forced in 5 moves.

In your line if 2...h5 then 3. Rf7 a1Q (or a1B) 4. Qxa1 Bb2, white no longer has 5. Rf8 checkmate due to 5...Kh7 so 2...h5 holds on an extra move for black.  Also if 2...h5 3. Rf8+ Kh7 4. Qe4+ Kh6, and there is no mate on the next move as opposed to 2...h6 3. Rf8+ Kh7 4. Qe4+ g6 5. Qe7 checkmate as pointed out by Goldname in post #156.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #168

7st

I thought that was very intersting the way the Knight was used to block the check.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

chekat

My sentiments exactly IncrediBill!  I never got beyond that knight fork as the first move.Wink

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

abekiroz

very niceCool

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

sola77

i'd have gone for the knight fork. just too tempting

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

ChessisGood

Interesting puzzle, however, the position offers no motivation to win in 5 moves. White could just as easily win in a hundred other ways.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

Mithrander12

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #174

ZinBad

hmmmp.....

• 3 years ago · Quote · #175

young71

IncrediBill wrote:

How can we not resist the Knight Fork as a first move? 

Of course, Black would play d5 instead of h6, so it would be Mate in 6 instead of 5, but still, the Fork is just too tempting to look for anything else. 

The alternative would be to resist the Rook capture, but it would still end up as a Mate in 6. 

Great alternatives especially having the pawn waiting to upgrade. Chess.com should put alternates in the solutions. Thanxs 4 the input.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #176

aprilmoon

• 3 years ago · Quote · #177

MangoSol

Best 5 move checkmate ive seen xD

• 3 years ago · Quote · #178

zhugeliang1

i dont agree to move the queen to c4 after knight fork because now the black rook can move to e8 and move the h pawn to h6 and king to h7 that will buy him extra moves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #179

others

i hate this kind of puzzle. because you are going to win like no mater what.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #180

Norb68

Nice

Post your reply: