Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/14/2010 - Leonid Kubbel, Deutsches Wochenschach 1909

• 4 years ago · Quote · #61

claudionico

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 4 years ago · Quote · #62

jp2010

Would someone please explain why you would not always want a queen.  I understand that the underpromotion helps in this specific situation, but wouldn't a queen work just as well, if not better?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #63

William_Smitham

Thank you for the puzzle.  Smile

• 4 years ago · Quote · #64

jp2010

Nevermind, I found the answer in page 2 of this thread! Foot in mouth

• 4 years ago · Quote · #65

sv7410

black isnt going to lose it will just be a draw

• 4 years ago · Quote · #66

DAchessmaster99

the bishop got blocked by the king while white's pawns finished the game! interesting puzzle!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #67

philtheforce

nice puzzle

• 4 years ago · Quote · #68

ricker23

nice puzz today.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #69

FredBatchelor

Mighty fine.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #70

rumi99

good good

• 4 years ago · Quote · #71

engrian

nice move!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #72

ssbee

good one but if black replies with Pf5+ his king will eventually allow the c7 to queen but takes both other pawns and white is left with just one queen against a Bishop and two pawns, neither of which can be taken by the queen alone and at most it is a draw for white!!!! now try this one please::::: White to force mate in 3 moves......Black set up: King g5, Pawn h5, Pawn e7, Pawn e4...White set up: Rook a4, Bishop c3, Bishop e6, King e3, Knight h4, Pawn f2, Pawn h2....god bless you all and best of luck, always....

• 4 years ago · Quote · #73

tanmay_chakrabarti

good one indeed.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #74

Churrasqueira

• 4 years ago · Quote · #75

smuralis2000

mum is th word for the silent choking

• 4 years ago · Quote · #76

doublebruce

Saturday  with Chass .com

• 4 years ago · Quote · #77

vlandr4

But why one shouldn't promote a pawn to queen?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #78

nimzovich

http://cssjs.chesscomfiles.com/images/icons/fam/comment.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; border-color: #b9b9b9; margin: 0px;">

http://cssjs.chesscomfiles.com/images/icons/fam/comment.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 0px 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; border-color: #b9b9b9; margin: 0px;">Kubbel, the king!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #79

Gerry78

kentaro267 wrote:

It's not mate but the knight movement ensures a queen right???? someone tell me how this would play out. Doesn't this draw out because of this play. Plus! If kinggy moves to b7 white can say bye to that knight lol.

After Kxa7 and the knight capture of the bishop, Black cannot get near the b pawn to take it due to the current control of the 6th rank by the pawn and knight combined. White can at any time then move the knight to block the black a pawn and therefore protects the pawn. In the meantime the king can mop up the separated black pawn and get over to help with a successful promotion.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #80

Narniacalls

I would like to see the game finished showing how white finally wins. I think that is just as important as this first part.

Post your reply: