Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/6/2011 - Going to the Edge and Back

• 3 years ago · Quote · #181

BryanCFB

bulldozeher - If the black bishop takes the white bishop on f5 on the first move, then 2. Qh8 MATE.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #182

BryanCFB

IncrediBill, if 1...Ke8 2. Qh8 is not checkmate due to 2...Kd7.  Check out post #190 for the proper response to 1...Ke8.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #183

Bhodi

slowhare wrote:

Kinda like this way.

3... Bh3?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #184

JCE77

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #185

ZenitFan

IncrediBill wrote:

I definitely had to click help solving this one.  Nice of chess.com to throw us a curve ball instead of your standard Mating puzzle . . . helps keep us on our toes.

I am not sure how the rest of this game actually played out, but even though White gained an advantage, I think that it would still end up as a draw.  I tried extending the game myself, but I got to a dead end.  Perhaps someone could shed some insight?

All that work by White and all he ends up with is trading off two of his Bishops for one of Blacks Bishops and his Rook.

After 6 ...Kf7, 7 Qb6 attacks both Q-side pawns and Black has no move to defend both. (a) 7 ...Bd8, 8 Qxc6. Or (b) 7 ...e5, 8 Qxa5 and White has his own passed pawn.

Of course 6 ...Bd8 to prevent Qb6 results in 7 Rd1 and it's last rites for the bishop.

Also, the Black queen is vulnerable on f6. After option (b), White plays 9 f4 exf4, 10 Rxf4 and the queen is pinned. If Black doesn't capture, 10 fxe5 pins the queen anyway.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #186

BillBeachwood

IncrediBill wrote:

Attention:  Chess.comLast Post

Re:  Suggested Programming Change for the Daily Puzzle

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

Thanks for all your hard work.  Keep it up.

Excellent suggestion.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #187

davidklausa

I agree with Incredibill. We need a way to vote these comments down. Seriously, what do these people want, a prize for being on chess.com more than employed people?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #188

Ocky

Impressive! Too much for me...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #189

stm01

pk...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #190

checkmateibeatu

IncrediBill wrote:

Attention:  Chess.com

Re:  Suggested Programming Change for the Daily Puzzle

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

Thanks for all your hard work.  Keep it up.

I don't like this "first" thing either:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/first

• 2 years ago · Quote · #191

carlosmadura

excelentt

• 2 years ago · Quote · #192

stephen_33

Seems a lot of work to gain a couple of points advantage & perhaps a slightly better position ! Undecided

• 23 months ago · Quote · #193

shengyi

This is interesting...

• 3 months ago · Quote · #194

QR4mate

Nice

Post your reply: