Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/6/2011 - Going to the Edge and Back

• 3 years ago · Quote · #101

EricNewton

great idea to do what IncrediBill suggests with rating system, though I don't mind people being free to post whatever comments they want
    IncrediBill wrote:

Attention:  Chess.com

Re:  Suggested Programming Change for the Daily Puzzle

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

Thanks for all your hard work.  Keep it up.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #102

chessrd

IncrediBill wrote:

I definitely had to click help solving this one.  Nice of chess.com to throw us a curve ball instead of your standard Mating puzzle . . . helps keep us on our toes.

I am not sure how the rest of this game actually played out, but even though White gained an advantage, I think that it would still end up as a draw.  I tried extending the game myself, but I got to a dead end.  Perhaps someone could shed some insight?

All that work by White and all he ends up with is trading off two of his Bishops for one of Blacks Bishops and his Rook.

In the position above, I think white is winning after a queen trade.  There's not much Black can do.  White's rook can easily shut down Black's passed d-pawn, and Black's bishop can't capture the a3 pawn because after Ra1, he also loses his a-pawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #103

melodyzhang

especially loved the last few moves! the whole thing was so cleverly planned out! at first, i thought white was giving away all of its pieces, and i was like, "what!?, white is comitting self-suicide!" and then when i got to the end of the puzzle, i was like, "oh, i get it!" funny, huh? Laughing

note on comments: i agree with IncrediBill. his/her comment was very nicely worded.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #104

RedSoxFan3

IncrediBill wrote:

Dear Chess.com,

You have probably noticed in the Posts of the Daily Puzzle’s that there have been a number of people who post messages like, “First” or “Second” and other such nonsensical messages that clutter up the pages.  These are generally followed up by people posting their frustration and complaints about the people who do this.

May I suggest that you create a “Rating” system for the messages that people post.  It could be a “Star” system where posts could be ranked by the readers from one to five stars.  You could then create a page that appears directly after the puzzle itself, where you could gather together the highest ranked posts.

This would greatly improve the Daily Puzzles.   People who are genuinely interested in discussing the puzzle, or looking for explanations to the puzzle, would know where to find the best answers, because they will have been pre-screened by the readers themselves.  It would save everyone the trouble of having to sift through pages and pages of posts to try and find the answers to their questions.

I am sure that there are other ways or methods that the above concept could be carried out or applied.  The above idea is something just off the top of my head.   But I think you get the idea of what is trying to be achieved.

I give this post zero stars.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #105

webternals

Stupid puzzle no point at all.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #106

uknightandtakeover

a potential continuation for a great puzzle.  Nice one chess.com!
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #107

MysticKnight

The point is that you start out with equal material, then win the exchange which will win the game with correct technique.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #108

Hyannis

alexeyv wrote:

Why black 3...fxe6 instead of queen exchange?

I looked at this myself but having taken a closer look, black loses out with the Bishop check, and white escapes with a two bishops, a rook and four pawns against a bishop, rook and four pawns.

I still think the game ends in a draw!! 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #109

xray

needed and used help on this one.......good instrutional puzzle 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #110

ZacWilson

Excellent puzzle, more of a real game situation than a composition.  Much preferred, I learn a great deal from these.  Thanks.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #111

tempora-mutantor

That was fun and clever too!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #112

Nraja

very nice puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #113

Hyannis

deBroglie wrote:

Why black 3... fxe6 instead of queen exchange ?

If nobody else answered you, the white check the black King with his bishop and keep his other bishop when the black king moves out of check. If someone did answer, sorry for repeating!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #114

Dhalsim

alexeyv wrote:

Why black 3...fxe6 instead of queen exchange?

because the bishop recaptures with check which means that after the opponent moves out of check white simply withdraws his bishop from the attack of the pawn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #115

Theringpiece

IncrediBill wrote:

Dear Chess.com,

• 3 years ago · Quote · #116

Theringpiece

Theringpiece wrote:
    IncrediBill wrote:

Dear Chess.com,

In which case we wouldn't have to read this tripe.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #117

sakibaki

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?! why not 1. Rb1 and take queen followed by checkmate at Rb8? Only move black Q has is 1...f2# or b1# followed by 2. Bb1 Rb1# 2. Kh2 protecting it from boshp attack. This gives way for White Q to attack on h file and checkmate?!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #118

kskid

i AGREE 100% WITH iNCREDIBILL but wouldn't it be eaiser to just have who ever censors the (Comment deleted) clean the "Firsts" out also. Or if done with a filter, add first and related words to the filter.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #119

domalius

I like this puzzle, although it is quite difficult.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #120

Terrible-Lie

Still a long way to go plus black has a threw pawn but white does have slight advantage... im thinking because of Rook over bishop?

Post your reply: