Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/8/2010 - Cleaning Up From Behind

• 4 years ago · Quote · #41

NJH

And this is why people should resign! The game is completely lost, no chance of a comeback. If it wasn't certain checkmate though, by all means keep fighting!!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #42

leeor123

• 4 years ago · Quote · #43

gajraj1989

easy

• 4 years ago · Quote · #44

Purpledinosaurs

yay! an easy one! daily puzzles are getting hard

• 4 years ago · Quote · #45

harvtherad

A desperate black after he blunders by taking queen nice

• 4 years ago · Quote · #46

hoipolloi

mikeman0909 wrote:

After Qxd2 .... black could have responded with Qf6 ....

I can't see how white could counter this move.  Any suggestions?

Well, White has just won a rook, so he could just move his Q out of the way and keep the material.  But after 1....Qf6, 2.Nd5 looks quite nice, threat Nxf6+. Black has to keep his Q guarding e7 and d8 otherwise White has 3. Ne7+ and 4.Qxd8#. Black's options are 2...Qd6 or Qh4.  Then 3.Rxg4 wins the B because Black can't recapture.  Black is rapidly running out of pieces while White's attack just gets stronger.  In short, after 1.Qxd2, Black is toast.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #47

sjpdna

bucksadizzle wrote:

nice and easy!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #48

nani_101

this puzle very easy

• 4 years ago · Quote · #49

FredBatchelor

Mighty fine.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #50

boyerbcb77

very nice

• 4 years ago · Quote · #51

chessknight12345

• 4 years ago · Quote · #52

Worther

I wish some of my games were that easy!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #53

elainne

so easy!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #54

jacklemmon77

cool puzzle

• 4 years ago · Quote · #55

dufferps

Not all that easy for Sunday.  First, I had to look pretty long at the board before I saw the Queen sacrifice win.  Then there is always the issue of "What is the opponent's best response?"  Clearly when taking the queen is a certain  game-loser, he will look for something better.  White is now a rook ahead, and the attack on d1 is clearly a fizzle.  But at least black can defend against the immediate threats.

Moving the defending rook back next to the king (in this case Rf8) is  always a defensive move to be considered.  Moving a pawn to provide an escape square for the King is another (not a good choice in this case, I think).  Bringing up protection of the threatened back-row rook is another approach. (In this case, Qf6 has been suggested and it is worth considering - white is not likely going to trade his queen for that second rook - EDIT: hoipolloi does a good job of showing how white could counter that defense).  In any case, if black makes a better response to the initial Qxd2, the continuation is no longer a Sunday-easy matter.
    Still, we can say that the initial capture of the rook at d2 was in itself a solution. 
    A rook advantage, spoiling a four-pronged attack, and forcing the opponent to defend is quite worthy of being called a "solution" even when it doesn't lead to immediate mate.  Perhaps daily puzzle has to make black blunder in response just to illustrate WHY the initial Qxd2 was a good move.

EDIT2:  If black responded with the conservative 1. ...  Rf8, white has several interesting moves to consider.  2. Qd6, covers both the b8 and f8 squares - two moves to mate.  However, it leaves the f2-pawn exposed and white would lose the pawn and have to delay or abandon the attack to defend his king.  My own approach (given my rook and three-pawns advantage) would be to move 2. Qd1, pushing for an even trade.  Any move by black to avoid trading qeens results in loss of the bishop.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #56

ejl34

Good for a Sunday :)

• 4 years ago · Quote · #57

Emmott

easy peasy, even I could do it!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #58

Dexman

Actually not the easiest puzzle I have seen! Smile

• 4 years ago · Quote · #59

1plus1is4

9th