Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

8/8/2014 - Mate in 5

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #201

NateTimms

Are you actually serious? You took the time to post an angry comment, yet you didn't bother to read any of the 10 pages of comments.

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #202

Vladimir_Ikhonov

Hey_Man wrote:

fp!

Whoever is making these puzzles, should not be doing it on chess.com. Its one thing to make easy puzzles, another to make a puzzle that is totally erroneous. White's first move is Nb5, which is understandable, so as to make room and support for the Queen to checkmate on c7. Now instead of Black playing Nd5 (basically sacrificing the Knight to White's Rook), why doesn't Black go Qxg7, and hence remove the threat of mate by White's Queen??? Whatever combination of checkmate White may try with the Bishop, Knight and Rook, can be repulsed by Black's Night, Rook and Queen (the Bishop can join in and lend a hand as well). Also this would give Black an advantage in terms of value of pieces on the board.

Getting back to our fairy tale land. White's Knight makes room for his Queen to attack Black's King and also lends support. In response Black's Knight says "I think I want to die now, but I'll pretend that I'm trying to prevent White's plot", and moves so that White's Queen can't attack immediately. In response White's Knight says "our effort shall not go to waste", and proceeds to attack the Black King. In response, Black's Bishop kills the White Knight. Since Black's Bishop was also protecting the Black castle (Rook), this was all along part of the plot to distract the Black Bishop so that White's Queen could take the Black Rook. In the process White's Queen also attacked the Black King. The Black King began his flight to the only place he could from his location. Then White's Rook graciously accepted the Black Knights offer to be killed, at the same time attacking the Black King as a bonus. Alas the Black King's flight was to no avail, as the White Queen had now successfully cornered the Black King and thus made the final move to deliver the deadly blow. Meanwhile it turns out that the Black Queen had a big smile on her face, as she was actually a mole of the White King and, hence justifiably, did nothing to stop White's plot.

Added:

Garry Kasparov running for FIDE Presidency in elections on Monday August 11, to be held in Tromso. Comments here.

Two things: 1.) The person who makes the puzzles is a chess.com staff member, so he can make puzzles on chess.com, it's his job. 

2.) White cannot play 1. ... Qxg7?? because of 2. Nxa7#! Here it is:

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #203

nooffence

Hey_Man wrote:

fp!

Whoever is making these puzzles, should not be doing it on chess.com. Its one thing to make easy puzzles, another to make a puzzle that is totally erroneous. White's first move is Nb5, which is understandable, so as to make room and support for the Queen to checkmate on c7. Now instead of Black playing Nd5 (basically sacrificing the Knight to White's Rook), why doesn't Black go Qxg7, and hence remove the threat of mate by White's Queen??? Whatever combination of checkmate White may try with the Bishop, Knight and Rook, can be repulsed by Black's Night, Rook and Queen (the Bishop can join in and lend a hand as well). Also this would give Black an advantage in terms of value of pieces on the board.

Getting back to our fairy tale land. White's Knight makes room for his Queen to attack Black's King and also lends support. In response Black's Knight says "I think I want to die now, but I'll pretend that I'm trying to prevent White's plot", and moves so that White's Queen can't attack immediately. In response White's Knight says "our effort shall not go to waste", and proceeds to attack the Black King. In response, Black's Bishop kills the White Knight. Since Black's Bishop was also protecting the Black castle (Rook), this was all along part of the plot to distract the Black Bishop so that White's Queen could take the Black Rook. In the process White's Queen also attacked the Black King. The Black King began his flight to the only place he could from his location. Then White's Rook graciously accepted the Black Knights offer to be killed, at the same time attacking the Black King as a bonus. Alas the Black King's flight was to no avail, as the White Queen had now successfully cornered the Black King and thus made the final move to deliver the deadly blow. Meanwhile it turns out that the Black Queen had a big smile on her face, as she was actually a mole of the White King and, hence justifiably, did nothing to stop White's plot.

Hey_Man ...  just because you can't see that Nxa7 is check mate, why do we have to put with your erroneous dribble? 

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #204

HenrytheCat

1. Qxf8+ Bxf8 2. Re8#  Why mate in 5 when it is mate in 2?
    dailypuzzle wrote:
  • 6 weeks ago · Quote · #205

HenrytheCat

1. Qxf8+ Bxf8 2. Re8#  Why mate in 5 when there is mate in 2?

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #206

Popeye_Sailorman

HenrytheCat wrote:

1. Qxf8+ Bxf8 2. Re8#  Why mate in 5 when there is mate in 2?

Wrong there is no checkmate in 2 movesKxe8 Threat eliminated....

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #207

NateTimms

Re8 isn't even possible. You're pawn is it the way....

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #208

vamsikrishnaaddepali

good puzzle

Cool

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #209

dhan_bogati

Nice puzzle

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #210

FRNW

Hey_Man wrote:

fp!

Added:

Garry Kasparov running for FIDE Presidency in elections on Monday August 11, to be held in Tromso. Comments here.

Hey_man you had all the  time to criticize the puzzle but no time to actually analyze?
    I Guess you didnt see twas' a double threat with Nxa7++ if Qxg7.
    Please try and analyze deeply before posting ur comments.

In the words of Albert Einstein

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler."

'Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them'.

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #211

brooklynjuggler

@Hey_Man

1. Nb5 Qxg7 2. Nxa7 #

Hope that answers your question!

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #212

keyakku

very nice puzzle

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #213

mauve_penguin

Getting first page shouldn't have to be a challenge.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #214

apoorv98

Now that's more like it!!

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #215

mauve_penguin

Riftwalker kalls everyone a noob.

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #216

john_jungleboy

okay

• 3 weeks ago · Quote · #217

mauve_penguin

people are mean