Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

9/14/2013 - Powerful One Mover

• 13 months ago · Quote · #181

BryanCFB

jonnybomb wrote:

In response to the edward lasker vs george alan thomas puzzle, would white plays Be4 be an automatic checkmate. The way the puzzle plays it, it takes like 3 extra moves.

Black's bishop on b7 would then capture white's bishop on e4.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #182

BryanCFB

slowhare wrote:

Why is this not more effective?

I was wondering about that move too.  I think that on 1. Ra1, if black captures 1...Qxa1+ then black will be slightly better off in terms of material then after 1. Qc3, followed by white capturing the rook on f3.  In your line, even down a queen, black would have a rook and bishop for the queen and pawn.  Basically instead of black dropping a rook as in the puzzle line, black will be losing a queen for rook in your line.  And after 1. Ra1 Qxa1+ 2. Qxa1 Rf8, black stops the white checkmate threat (beginning with 3. Qa8+) and saves the rook on f3.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #183

marcolino08

Justmick wrote:

took me a while to find, good puzzle

looking at this again, the game wouldn't be over for black with Qc3, Bb6 could change alot 

not really cause white just takes the rook with the Queen and if black recaptures then white just takes with the pawn.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #184

Texesa

very nice

• 13 months ago · Quote · #185

PregnantMonk

slowhare wrote:

Why is this not more effective?

I think because it is roughly equal after ra1, QxR, QxQ, and then Rf8 (which is an improvement); whereas Qc3 wins.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #186

MasterWinston

how about white plays Rc7, either black Q or R blocks next will be taken out by the white R, and white Q takes black's g7 pawn and mate?

• 13 months ago · Quote · #187

BryanCFB

MasterWinston wrote:

how about white plays Rc7, either black Q or R blocks next will be taken out by the white R, and white Q takes black's g7 pawn and mate?

If 1. Rd7 then 1...Qc1+ 2. Rd1 Qxd1#.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #188

sswarnendu

Justmick wrote:

took me a while to find, good puzzle

looking at this again, the game wouldn't be over for black with Qc3, Bb6 could change alot 

After Bb6 ( or Bd4, both of which saves the checkmate threat) Qxf3 and white has a pawn and a rook for a bishop..... the material advantage and the passed e pawn is enough to decide the game.

• 13 months ago · Quote · #189

sswarnendu

In the Lasker puzzle.....I am very disappointed with the finish.... Kd2???
    I tried 0-0-0 and the puzle said wrong move :(
    0-0-0# is much more elegant.... 

• 13 months ago · Quote · #190

Ocky

OK

• 12 months ago · Quote · #191

Kerl126

PeaceRequiresAnarchy wrote:

One of my favorite chess puzzles. Try solving it all the way through before playing the first move. (It's more satisfying that way!)

Also, if you click the image below you'll find photos of 250+ more people (myself included) holding up their answers to the question "Why are YOU a libertarian?"

I didn't mention chess in my answer, but to be fully honest, I think chess did play a role. Chess taught me that there is a lot that I do not know and consequently made me more open to considering new ideas. Feel free to discuss this meme here.

18. O-O-O# works too. 

• 12 months ago · Quote · #192

Jacob30

Kerl126 wrote:
    PeaceRequiresAnarchy wrote:

One of my favorite chess puzzles. Try solving it all the way through before playing the first move. (It's more satisfying that way!)

Also, if you click the image below you'll find photos of 250+ more people (myself included) holding up their answers to the question "Why are YOU a libertarian?"

I didn't mention chess in my answer, but to be fully honest, I think chess did play a role. Chess taught me that there is a lot that I do not know and consequently made me more open to considering new ideas. Feel free to discuss this meme here.

18. O-O-O# works too. 

that link is a virus

Post your reply: