Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

9/17/2012 - Stylish Finish

• 24 months ago · Quote · #321

stephen_33

I've lost count of the number of comments which ask - "how do you even know castling is possible ?"

For those of you who like technical 'stuff', there's a simple way of working it out - look at the FEN string for the puzzle. If you click on 'Solution' then a button marked 'FEN/PGN' appears towards the bottom-left of the diagram. Click on that button & a pane opens with the PGN data in it & amongst this is the FEN - it looks like this:-

[FEN "8/8/8/8/4p1p1/4pkN1/7P/4K2R w K - 0 1"]

It's a complete description of all the pieces on the board along with the player who's due to move next (w=White), castling information (K=White/Kingside castling available; Q=White Queenside; k&q=Black etc.), then En Passant (the hyphen means no pawns are E.P.), then the number of half-moves (I think this relates to the 50-move rule) & finally the number of the next move.

So the FEN information clearly shows that Kingside castling for White is possible !

The fact is we all got caught out on this one but at least we should know better next time    Wink

• 24 months ago · Quote · #322

tomojacobson

haha!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #323

Alchemos2011

Ha, brilliant! I didn't even consider castling. No complaints, on the contrary, it wakens up the mind to consider more.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #324

StrategicPlay

Extraordinarily unrealistic way of getting this right. Overall, a good one.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #325

Newba

jerrymillar28 wrote:

it would have been helpful to know i could still castle...

Yea, this is the most TROLL PUZZLE EVER XD

• 24 months ago · Quote · #326

Newba

mad335ny wrote:

To Girts30, its a puzzle to exercise your "chess eye" to see the relationship of files diagonals and critical squares. This is a useful exercise because this is what you use to think ahead when creating a tactic in a real game. The fact that it was a 0-0 move in an end game tells you not to take anything for granted (in a puzzle or a real game).

Sorry mr. Einstein but this happens just inside your head. I doubt in the whole chess history that this position will ever be reached without a castle. And to castle with mate, pfew.

Anyway, I like this puzzle because it beaten me. 

• 23 months ago · Quote · #327

tintinanhquan

Last

• 23 months ago · Quote · #328

BlueKnightShade

Newba wrote:

Sorry mr. Einstein but this happens just inside your head. I doubt in the whole chess history that this position will ever be reached without a castle. And to castle with mate, pfew.

Well since I already posted 3 games in this topic (post #253) where there was a very late castling it is already documented that it can happen in real games. In two of those games the castling happened in move 48 (without a check mate), in the third game the castling happened in move 31 giving a check mate.

Want more documentation? Look here:

Paul Morphy vs Alonzo Morphy 1850, (without Queen's rook) ending with 18. 0-0# :
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1238144

Edward Lasker vs George Alan Thomas, 1912,
    the game could have ended with either
    18. Kd2# or with 18. 0-0-0#
    Lasker chose to play 18. Kd2#
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1259009

Lodewijk Prins vs Lawrence Day, 1968, ended with 31... 0-0-0#
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1037399&kpage=1

• 20 months ago · Quote · #329

MrAweSoME_KRAJ

how on earth am i supposed to know that white didnt castle ???????

• 10 months ago · Quote · #330

a3zzat

nice

• 5 months ago · Quote · #331

Mrmath

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I HAD THE RIGHT TO CASTLE?! AND HOW IS THIS FRIKIN POSITION EVEN POSSIBLE?!

Post your reply: