Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

9/3/2011 - White Draws

• 3 years ago · Quote · #161

ETGoomba

good puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #162

The_Chess_Ninja

bit complicated.. but good puzzle! I hope tomorrow isn't another easy puzzle...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #163

burntalot

how come the queen did not take the rook

• 3 years ago · Quote · #164

xXxFatexXx

Wow, that's. a pretty crazy puzzle... stalemate vs 3 fold repetition.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #165

Samalander

My only problem with this puzzle is the starting position.  For me, there are 3 key points to the starting position.  1) Black's King is pinned.  2) Black is one move away from a pawn converting to Queen.  3) A black pawn is threatening white's rook.  But what is the move that gets us to this position?  White would not have moved into a square threatened by black's pawn, so the logical deduction i that the last move was 0. ... f5 (I use 0 since the puzzle starts at 1 and there's no history to the game whatsoever).  Now, we can assume that black is a decent player as he has 4 pawns and a bishop vs white's rook.  So f5 is a poor move compared to h5, which allows black's king some movement and still threatens the rook.  That single move renders the draw virtually impossible.  White then has 2 movement options: Rh4 and Rg1.  If Rg1 then black can move his bishop to protect e1, Kf7, and then black pushes his f pawn to support the e pawn. If white tries to check the king after that the black bishop can take the white rook without fear of stalemate.  Even if the rook attacks the e pawn fromt he 2nd rank it can be safely sacrificed. Or if Rh4 then e1=Q+ followed by Kf7 Qe2.  With the queen covering the h pawn the rook has no viable options and black can attack.  So while the puzzle as it stands is white forcing a draw unless black sacrifices its e pawn (and probably a win for white) I find the initial position hard to accept.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #166

Dadg777

Ron Paul sucks.  I'm voting for ZZ Top. 

You see, they're bad & nationwide, sharp-dressed, sometimes get blue jean blues, just got paid, were arrested for driving while blind, & sometimes they wear cheap sunglasses while looking for some Tush in Dallas, Texas, brother!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #167

CtCastler

why didn't the queen just capture the rook? white loses with just a king left..

• 3 years ago · Quote · #168

Nicobrc

retarded puzzle, this is all assuming black has no idea how to use it's queen or bishop

• 3 years ago · Quote · #169

jeffilli

• 3 years ago · Quote · #170

zman1234

I dunno, EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #171

newbie27

It seems that black has more options at the beginning of the puzzle to not have a forced draw

• 3 years ago · Quote · #172

Alikhi

nice one

• 3 years ago · Quote · #173

dctpianist

Nicobrc wrote:

retarded puzzle, this is all assuming black has no idea how to use it's queen or bishop

Ok. How would you use the queen or bishop then?

newbie27 wrote:

It seems that black has more options at the beginning of the puzzle to not have a forced draw

You are right that the first move for black, promoting the e pawn, does lead to a forced draw. However, black's chances are slim regardless. With perfect play by both sides following a sacrifice of the e pawn, the game would be drawn. White has enough of an advantage in terms of piece positioning and mobility to make up for their material disadvantage. If black went the route of sacrificing the e pawn to avoid a forced draw, they would have a chance to win, but they would also have the chance to blunder and lose.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #174

hilaking

kind of difficult :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #175

MichelleSteimle

Why couldn't the black take the rook with the bishop?  Wouldn't black win quickly then?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #176

Gregarious

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #177

Jacob30

Have a good night everyone.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #178

andyreed

Difficult puzzles two days in a row? Wow!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #179

sgolemi

Nice puzzle this time!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #180

redwill3

nice one.

Post your reply: