Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

9/6/2011 - Mate in 3

• 3 years ago · Quote · #141

christof944

either too easy, or too hard, what's just right?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #142

MunnaTunna

that's easy, I have seen it before

• 3 years ago · Quote · #143

chessmaster102

only 149th place not bad for me.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #144

7annaba3l

clear...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #145

vahidkhiavi

Not bad.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #146

abraham20

very-very easy,,,

• 3 years ago · Quote · #147

MartinArriaga

First!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #148

RookPFeynman

Wow! This  one spooked me on the first move but I thought about the intended square to move to as a weak square and I didn't consider it viable however the second move proves that the first move is a gem!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #149

dragana87

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #150

littlehotpot

Easy Puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #151

avante

piece of cake

• 3 years ago · Quote · #152

bluejay2000

good

• 3 years ago · Quote · #153

dufferps

This puzzle solution, unlike some other recent ones, is one that I think I would have seen in a real game - and not because I had reason to particularly look for an easy mating sequence, and not because "it's a daily puzzle, so it probably involves a queen sacrifice."  Yes, it did lead off with a queen sacrifice, but in this case the reason was obvious - I wanted to take advantage of the back-row pressure while the black bishop and knight were blocking any useful movement of the black rooks.
    And it was easy to see that the second move not only cleared the d-file for the white rook, but protected the 3. Rd8# square.

I didn't at the beginning see ahead to the checkmate, but I did see that the first 2 moves were solid checks, and, since the second move was a double check, they would prevent black from clearing either side of his back row (I was ready to accept black clearing one side, just so it was on the opposite side from my rook).  I saw this much on almost first sight, because when I first looked at the board I was immediately aware that it was only my bishop between my queen and rook that prevented Qd8 from being a mate in one. By the time I made that second move it was clear to me that my rook could then move to d8 for checkmate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #154

KingAlbert

Love those Queen sacs! ;-)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #155

micklanders

nice

• 3 years ago · Quote · #156

h3lo123

good puzzle

• 3 years ago · Quote · #157

elyar91

in seconds :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #158

dufferps

wazzochio wrote:

Why doesn't the black queen just take the bishop?

2. Ba5+ is a DOUBLE CHECK.  - If 2 ... Qxa5, then 3. RxK, so Qxa5 is illegal, as is 2.... Nd7 (interposing to block the Rook's check on the black King).

2. ... Kc8 or 2. ... Ke8 are black's only legal responses., and after either one, 3.Rd8 is checkmate.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #159

PhysicsFTW2

Why can't queen a2 take bishop a5

• 3 years ago · Quote · #160

curiousmind

Easy but fun !

Post your reply: