Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Carlsen R+B vs. Svidler R

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

AnthonyCG

A rare endgame.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

AndyClifton

I actually got that ending in my 13th USCF game!--against an expert (couldn't hold it though). Frown

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

finalunpurez

Amazing defense. I would have crumbled under that time control. :(

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

Metaknight251

no powerlevel, svidler resigned.  He is getting mated.  Rh1 is mate, so rf7 + is forced (kh7 rh1+ kg8 rh8+ kf7 rh7+ wins the rook).  So after rf7+ bf6 rh1 is still mating.  Rxf6 is forced to stop mate, and that is losing.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

AnthonyCG

Yeah it seemed to come out of nowhere.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

finalunpurez

If carlsen was playing black, maybe he can do the impossible and defend the position under that pressure?

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

Metaknight251

idk....  The position is exceptionally difficult to defend.  Even If I had lots of time as black and white was under time pressure, I'm not sure If I could have held it.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #8

JG27Pyth

Difficult to defend? I guess. But It's damn hard to get the mate too -- try it against an engine giving yourself all the time in the world! 

Until this video if I'd gotten that ending with my R+B against R and my opponent extended his hand like, "everyone knows this is a draw" -- I'd have accepted the offer! 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #9

Johnegregory

Can anybody help me to get back to my online games via the app. I can now only access my account via google!

• 21 months ago · Quote · #10

mashanator

Actually, Rook And Bishop v Rook, assuming they are not prone to being captured in the next 5 moves or so, and that the last move was a capture, is a forced win. The annoying thing is that it takes something like 75 moves to do, which of course would lead to a draw by 50 move rule.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #11

AndyClifton

Uh...yeah sure (whatever you say).

• 21 months ago · Quote · #12

mvtjc

I would be happy to see Capablanca play that position , I bet he's gonna win whatever color he is in like 8 movesLaughing(I'm obviously exaggerating but you get my point)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #13

Oran_perrett

if it takes 75 moves it's not a forced win it's a draw with perfect play. but perfect play in these kinds of endgames is rather tricky

• 21 months ago · Quote · #14

mashanator

It's a forced win on the board, but the 50 move rule will make it a draw before then. If I remember correctly FIDE at some point relinquished or increased the 50 move rule for such endings.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #15

AndyClifton

According to wikipedia:

Computer endgame tablebases show that 40.1% of the legal positions with this material are wins, but that includes many unnatural positions that are unlikely to occur in games. Edmar Mednis estimated that less than 4% of starting positions that occur in games are theoretical wins.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #16

Oran_perrett

how interesting, but this assumes perfect attack and defense

• 20 months ago · Quote · #17

ViktorHNielsen

I guess. With wrong defence and attack, everything should be drawn.

• 20 months ago · Quote · #18

waffllemaster

This shoudln't be difficult to draw (at least for professional players) once they reach that defensive setup.  I suspect the only reason he lost was time pressure.  In fact I think losses like this should be a bit embarrassing... akin to a top player failing to preform the bishop+knight mate.

Yes the win can be difficult if you haven't ever practiced it, but the pattern contains very few sidelines, so again once a professional reaches the wining position I would expect it to be easy... I mean compared to other technical endgames these aren't on the difficult end of the spectrum.

Post your reply: