Forums

Endgame analysis

Sort:
mrkint

hello everyone

just a quick question about an endgame I just drew. I'll just show a position i wish to talk about (see below). In the game, white played gxh4, which I know ends up completely drawn (king controls the queening square, white's bishop can't, can sac my bishop for the pawn it's currently stopping and then just dance around the black squares in the corner with my king).

My question is however, had white played kxh4, would that then win for white? I think it is but i can't quite work it out in my head.

MatchStickKing

Curse of the opposite coloured bishops strikes again :0)

transpo

According to Nalimov endgame table bases with White to move after 1.gxh4 Black loses in 13. After 1.Kxh4 Black loses in 22.

mrkint
transpo wrote:

According to Nalimov endgame table bases with White to move after 1.gxh4 Black loses in 13. After 1.Kxh4 Black loses in 22.

O RLY? What's the continuation that is given after gxh4? It's just that, I mean I know I could be wrong and I'm crap at chess but it's surely a draw?!

transpo

mrkint wrote:

transpo wrote:

O RLY? What's the continuation that is given after gxh4? It's just that, I mean I know I could be wrong and I'm crap at chess but it's surely a draw?!

Go to the website yourself, set up the position after 1.gxh4 with Black to move and it will give you all the continuations.

Here is the website: http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb〈=en

transpo

roi_g11 wrote:

transpo wrote:

Can you post the moves?  I (coincidentally) just read the chapter this morning in Hawkins' "Amateur to IM" about opposite colored bishops where one side has two pawns, and the plans to win.

Set the position up yourself after 1.Kxh4 and see all the continuations.

Here is the website: http://www.k4it.de/index.php?topic=egtb〈=en

transpo

Right the endgame tablebase only accepts the position with White starting from the bottom of the board.

shepi13

Kxh4 and Bxh4 both draw. Every other move and white loses Laughing

iksarol
pfren wrote:
[COMMENT DELETED]

lol

mrkint

er, just to clarify guys white is attacking toward the bottom of the board! 

Transpo, thanks for the link. However it is saying it's not available :( I'll try and find an engine or something and have a look.