Forums

My Endgames are hell - Help Me Please

Sort:
pavandlegend

Hi My Dear Friends,  

As a 1500-600 chess.com standard live chess rated player, i can play good, openings and middle game, but as i enter into endgame, though i have better position or even a piece or pawn ahead, i feel difficulties in converting it into a win. This happens evrytime . This says i am pretty weak in endgames. I have an examlpe here so that will help you to suggest me some tips to play better.

Everything was usual untill the 11th move of white 11.cxd6 This made me go up by an exchange and a pawn. But later after few moves i was anable to hold it and had to loose 2 of my pawns. Here is where i loose control most of the times in defending my extra pawns. And later i had to fight hard to win after queening and my opponents pawn on b7.

Please suggest what could have been better and how can i improve in holding endgames in my way.

Thank You Smile

pavandlegend

I dont understand something like this- People tell and post 100s of replies to a very simple, mostly stupid question like this - "Why is this a stalemate?" or as written by the post submitter "INCORRECT STALEMATE Tongue out"
http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/incorrect-chess-stalemate?page=1

But guys why dont ew help us out in better questions like this, give little precious time out of your life in helping us feel better! 
PLEASE! 

Knightvanguard
pavandlegend wrote:

I dont understand something like this- People tell and post 100s of replies to a very simple, mostly stupid question like this - "Why is this a stalemate?" or as written by the post submitter "INCORRECT STALEMATE "

But guys why dont ew help us out in better questions like this, give little precious time out of your life in helping us feel better! 
PLEASE! 

It may be a stupid question to you, because you are more knowledgable about chess than the person that asked about the stalemate.  If one does not ask he will not learn. 

Your question cannot be as easily answered, therefore not many will answer your question as quickly as they will answer the one about a stalemate.

pavandlegend
pfren wrote:

You had started erring seriously as early as move six (6...Be6 is a serious inaccuracy, and the very next move a blunder which loses material).

Funnily enough you suggest 11.Bxf1, while the other two captures on f1 (with queen or king) are much better, and leave white with an advantage (almost decisive, in case of taking with queen).

After your opponents blunder, you take the free piece (of course) and then begin moving aimlessly (probablt trying to exchange pieces) and give back a couple of pawns.

Actually your opening and middlegame play was much weaker than your endgame one, where you committed only one very serious mistake (45...Qa4+? instead of 45...Qc7 which is winning easily).

First of all thank you so much for giving your time for me Sir IM pfren.
Ya right now i understand what are all the actually mistakes i did. As you said, i try to exchange pieces, and maybe there i loose my concentration in defending my pawns..
And the opening thing, 7.Be6 was bad, but i dont understand how did you find that out sir. Can please help me out in that.

pavandlegend
Crosspinner wrote:
pavandlegend wrote:

I dont understand something like this- People tell and post 100s of replies to a very simple, mostly stupid question like this - "Why is this a stalemate?" or as written by the post submitter "INCORRECT STALEMATE "

PLEASE! 

It may be a stupid question to you, because you are more knowledgable about chess than the person that asked about the stalemate.  If one does not ask he will not learn. 

Your question cannot be as easily answered, therefore not many will answer your question as quickly as they will answer the one about a stalemate.

I am actually really sorry about saying that as stupid one. Hope i wasnt drunk while writing that comment.. I am sorry!

Knightvanguard

It is easy to write fast and think later.  I type faster than I think too many times and get into the same problem at times.

pavandlegend
Crosspinner wrote:

It is easy to write fast and think later.  I type faster than I think too many times and get into the same problem at times.

hmmm! Undecided

jiHymas

How embarrassing, to see this horrible effort publicized!

Whenever the nature of the game changes, you need to take a deep breath and refocus on the new stage of the game. After 11 cxd6??, you should have paused and reflected: 'My goal is no longer to develop and try to equalize. My objective is to win this game. What are my strengths? Where are my weaknesses? Where do my pieces want to be?'

In this particular case, you've got a queenside pawn majority - my own inclination would be to ask myself - how can I get these guys rolling? Where should my pieces be to support them?

Great advice, eh? I just wish I could follow it myself more often.

Knightvanguard
-kenpo- wrote:

I bet a book like Silman's endgame manual would do wonders. 

I think this person meant they think faster than they type?

I type faster than I think too many times and get into the same problem at times.

Actually, I do both.  But I do at times type faster than I think.  I get my mind on other things, but my fingers keep on typing.  I do other weird things, too.  

jiHymas

Endgame books are wonderful. I haven't read Silman's; such knowledge as I have comes from the series that Batsford brought out in the 1970's - the good old days, when I had time to study chess!

I found that while the knowledge of endgame techniques was very useful, even better was the knowledge regarding what my goals should be. 'If I can accomplish Plan X, then I'll have the better ending.'

One of the most useful books I ever read was Euwe's "Judgment and Planning in Chess". Mind you, I often find that just as my intricate machinations to force a backward pawn on c6 on my bishop's colour are coming to fruition, I'm mated on g1. But that's life!

shepi13

IM Pfren - I can see why Be6 is an inaccuracy (I can't even see any good way for black to save the game after d4), but what is so great about Qxf1 versus the other recaptures? I have a lot of trouble deciding which piece to recapture with sometimes, and this would help my chess a lot. Thanks.

pavandlegend
pfren wrote:

It needs no thinking to dismiss 7...Be6 as inferior, since white can play d2-d4 and threaten the d4-d5 fork. An experienced player doen't place his men on the right ends of a potential fork.

You can play various moves: 7...a6 (to move your bishop back to safety on a7 and answer any d2-d4 with ...ed4 and ...d5), or 7...Bg4, or even 7...Bb6, but not 7...Be6.

After 7...Be6? 8.d4 the least evil is 8...Bg4, which drops a pawn for inadequate compensation (9.dc5 e4 10.Nxe4 Nxe4 11.cd6).

Hmmm.. I am getting it sir. 
As you said it was better to take from queen i.e. Qxf1 , even my computer says it was +1.2 when taken from Qeen and +0.6 when taken from bishop. May i know how can i look at that sir..??

shepi13

After Qxf1 dxc5 I believe c5 is undefendable for black (as b6 seems dangerous and the white queen can go to c4) , but that's the only major difference I see, white should have an almost decisive advantage either way with 2 pieces for a rook. Is there any major reason to avoid a queen trade as well?

Knightvanguard

I am enjoy reading this. Thanks pfren for taking the time to help out.

pavandlegend
pfren wrote:

I will answer the question with a question: Does white have any good reason to remove his bishop from the excellent a8-h1 diagonal?

Excellent! That makes sense :-) Thank you so much..! I wished i had a trainer like you sir..! I dont have anyone to teach me something like these.. I am all alone with my computer and chess.com only this has helped me to reach all the way till here. Hope i can improve with the love i have for chess. :-) 

Thank you.