Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

N vs 3Ps

• 24 months ago · Quote · #1

eleaticus

I sacked a N for the great initiative but ended up with just three pawns for it. 8-5 with one of mine doubled:  3-2, 5(4)-3.

Is there a rule of thumb, swap off the pieces? Or keep them on the board? Or .... ?

Thanks!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #2

ChessisGood

No, he is not playing any chess.com games, nor has he. It could be on another site, though.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #3

eleaticus

It do feel kinda strange to have "rule of thumb" interpreted as help in a game in progress.

Thanks, SK911!

• 24 months ago · Quote · #4

browni3141

joeydvivre wrote:

Is this a game you are currently playing?  You can't ask for advice on a game in progress. 

What if someone is playing 100 games and wants to learn about rook endings, or his favorite opening, or basic tactics? In my opinion it's okay to ask for general advice, but nothing specific to an ongoing game.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #5

eleaticus

Thanks to all!  "Even" joey, whose handle I especially appreciate.

I hadn't played in decades and in the only game I've played with such a situatuation since starting up, I had to do my poor best to trade off the minors, whatever the rule of thumb might be. His Knights and Rooks virtually helpless because of my pawn chains, and I because of the two accursed Bishops, my pieces being cramped and/or pinned to defense.

By the way, I've recevied just two notifications total on two threads.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #6

Irontiger

Without precise position, it's hard to say... Are the number in post number one indicating a position ? If so, you had better post a diagram.

As for a rule of thumb, I would say the further the pawns are from each other, the better. And rook pawns are a plague to knights. But it all depends on the position.

• 24 months ago · Quote · #7

eleaticus

Thanks. You speak of tempi? Oh no. Knights!

• 23 months ago · Quote · #8

SharmaPawan

i think knights will lose

• 23 months ago · Quote · #9

SharmaPawan

and pawns will win

• 23 months ago · Quote · #10

SharmaPawan

• 23 months ago · Quote · #11

shepi13

Draw in this line at least.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #12

Irontiger

In post # 14 (and the corresponding line of #15), 6...Kxc4?? is just stupid and greedy. 6...Kb6 ! and the pawns are stopped (the threat is Nxa6 bxa6 Kxa6 and then that's a drawn K vs. K+p even if the white king manages to defend the last pawn).

• 23 months ago · Quote · #13

Elroch

eleaticus wrote:

I sacked a N for the great initiative but ended up with just three pawns for it. 8-5 with one of mine doubled:  3-2, 5(4)-3.

Is there a rule of thumb, swap off the pieces? Or keep them on the board? Or .... ?

Thanks!

The general rule for imbalanced positions is that if you have pawns versus a piece, your winning chances are increased by exchanging pieces. Of course all general rules have exceptions, but this one is often a good guide.

In a blitz game, you might just get on with exchanging, watching out for danger. In a turn-based game, you might use this idea to guide your analysis.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #14

SharmaPawan

yep

Post your reply: