Forums

Blind Chess

Sort:
Ariel_Demian

It has come to my mind exactly in this moment right now that a new kind of chess could be played thanks to the computer, a third impartial agent in the game of chess that can help in playing this totally new style of chess.

Blind chess is totally different than blind-fold chess. Blind chess consists simply of not knowing what are the opponent's moves and not knowing where are his pieces set. We will know about our opponent's pieces only when they are in direct contact with our pieces or when our opponent's pieces can be taken with one of our pieces. For example: if our pawn has an opponent's pawn in front of it then we will know there is a pawn there; if our bishop has an opponent's piece on its diagonal then we will know where and what that piece is; with this set of rules we can fairly assume that the piece that can see the most is the queen which spreads over the most squares.

This variation of chess came to my mind by thinking of the fact that in a war it's impossible for both sides to know all the moves of the other or in other words total information symmetry.

What do you guys think?

Martin0

I like the idea, although I think it should be added that you can see all your opponents pieces that one of your pieces can go to, so pawns don't try to move 2 steps forward to stand on the same square as an opponents piece. The same goes for castling that you need to see if one of your opponents pieces is standing in the way to prevent castling.

king_nothing1

some people are really bored with chess

Martin0

Enjoying chess variants does not need to be a sign of getting bored at chess.

Ariel_Demian

If someone wants to implement it then I will be glad to help. Otherwise I will try to implement it but I think it would take me a while and I can't right now because I have to finish my exams.

Martin0

I'm very busy at the moment and I have other things I'm intending to do when I have time in the future, so I'm unable to implement this in the near future. However I love brainstorming about new chess variants and such and if you want feedback while impementing this I'm happy to help.

TurboFish

Ariel, I think you may be thinking about the chess variant known as Kriegspiel?

"Kriegspiel (German for war game) is a chess variant invented by Henry Michael Temple in 1899 and based upon the original Kriegsspiel developed by Georg von Rassewitz in 1812.[1][2] In this game each player can see their own pieces, but not those of their opponent..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegspiel_(chess)

Martin0

The rules suggested for "blind chess" seem to be different from kriegspiel since we want some information about our opponents pieces and not need to try moves to know if they are legal.