Forums

Chessboard Photography by Andrea Riva

Sort:
andrea83riva

Hi Guys

I share with you a few picture that I took a few months ago.

This is my homage to the art of chess, and my gift to all of you for the good time we spend here consuming our neurons.

I think that some of the pictures have a size compatible with an average desktop.

Enjoy

Andrea

PS you find some of my photographic work here:

http://www.nikonphotographers.it/andreariva3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrea-riva/

trysts

Nice!

AnnaZC

love the last one with candles, great for a nerd geek dweeb chess valentine celebration

and yes, I am a nerd

Wilbert_78

As a photo-dude myself I only really like the second one. Nice B&W filter, good DOF and a cunning composition with the photo only being a small part of the black. 

andrea83riva
[COMMENT DELETED]
andrea83riva
Wilbert_78 wrote:

As a photo-dude myself I only really like the second one. Nice B&W filter, good DOF and a cunning composition with the photo only being a small part of the black. 

I agree with you Wilbert, the second one is the most interesting from a photographic poing of you. I just would have wanted a bit more sharpness on the knight's eye. Focus is not perfect. pity!

The last three pictures are the result of me playing with candles and lighter. The aim was to represent the flames of the fight. Some epic dramatic feeling that I don't think that the photos possess completely. It's the starting point. I must think some improvements.

andrea83riva
AnnaZafi wrote:

love the last one with candles, great for a nerd geek dweeb chess valentine celebration

and yes, I am a nerd

Anna, we all love chess, we are a bit nerd, nothing to be ashamed of. Instead, let's be proud!

fburton

Can you do one where the knights (or maybe just one of them) have real horses heads? That would be truly awesome.

Wilbert_78
andrea83riva wrote:
Wilbert_78 wrote:

I agree with you Wilbert, the second one is the most interesting from a photographic poing of you. I just would have wanted a bit more sharpness on the knight's eye. Focus is not perfect. pity!

The last three pictures are the result of me playing with candles and lighter. The aim was to represent the flames of the fight. Some epic dramatic feeling that I don't think that the photos possess completely. It's the starting point. I must think some improvements.

Yeah the intentions on the other ones are clear, I believe I see long exposure times and lots of playing with light. Keep on doing that, you will get it. It's hard! It would be a miracle if you would be the one to get it right on the first try. Don't forget, this subject has been photographed many times by some really skilled people. It's hard to compete with that legacy. 

You could try an unsharp mask btw on that picture if you think the knight shoould be more in focus. Personally, I think that is a great picture as it is. Especially in the way you've made it part of the whole image. That big part of black is really doing something for it, as far as I see it :D 

The others pictures are nice also btw, but that one, that one stands out! 

Edit: the reason the last one is a lesser compared to the second one, both in the same theme, to me is that the picture with the knight, blends in, beautifull light and shadows fall on the pieces. It all just blends in, while the last photo is harsher in that perspective.  

WorlDomination

Your chessboard is on fire.

Wilbert_78
WorlDomination wrote:

Your chessboard is on fire.

Hmmz, that could be a rather great pophit Surprised

andrea83riva
Wilbert_78 wrote:
andrea83riva wrote:
Wilbert_78 wrote:

Yeah the intentions on the other ones are clear, I believe I see long exposure times and lots of playing with light. Keep on doing that, you will get it. It's hard! It would be a miracle if you would be the one to get it right on the first try. Don't forget, this subject has been photographed many times by some really skilled people. It's hard to compete with that legacy. 

You could try an unsharp mask btw on that picture if you think the knight shoould be more in focus. Personally, I think that is a great picture as it is. Especially in the way you've made it part of the whole image. That big part of black is really doing something for it, as far as I see it :D 

The others pictures are nice also btw, but that one, that one stands out! 

Edit: the reason the last one is a lesser compared to the second one, both in the same theme, to me is that the picture with the knight, blends in, beautifull light and shadows fall on the pieces. It all just blends in, while the last photo is harsher in that perspective.  

You are probably right, the last one lacks harmony. Or it's not clear what the center of attention is. It's hard to rationalize the difference between a decent shot and an excellent one.

I'm not worried about competing with the legacy of some skilled dude. I love photography and I love chess and I seek good shots. that's it. The chessboard is a very interesting subject. I think about all the emotions of a chess match, or all the history of great chess players, it's all there, on the chessboard. I'd like the picture to be capable of capturing a little part of all those emotions and history. It would be great!

Thanks for the suggestions and your interest!

Wilbert_78

Ah, just to be clear, just trying to put in some hopefully helpfull tips. Not dissing your work at all. All the pics are way better than most of what is out there! 

What I can see between pic 2 and the last one is that the first one follows the 'golden rule'. The photo ends at 2/3 of the frame, and with that I mean where your name is. There is a bit more black above it, but it doesn't matter, the picture as a whole (to me) stops at the text. That is how i view it. The last picture has a different dimension. I think that picture would be stronger if it would have the same dimension as the first (second) one :D

But still, I see no bad work photo's :D And its obvious that time, thougt and effort has been into all of them! Looking forward to your next photo's! 

andrea83riva

Yeah, there is a problem in the composwition as well, also in the second one! Here it's why it's good to share photos. Other people easily see things you don't.

Thanks again.

cajuncharlie

your pics are nice, but the pieces lack character.

the wood chess box had some lack of maintance issues.

andrea83riva
cajuncharlie wrote:

your pics are nice, but the pieces lack character.

the wood chess box had some lack of maintance issues.

I totally agree about the lack of character... I'll find a better set next time