Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

IncrediBill vs zrylam (with kibitzers)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #221

IncrediBill

John_D wrote:

I also would like to know if you start up a game.

I think this is a good initiative, it helps understand a lot of thoughts behind the moves.

If this were a tournament game, or one where the loser buys the beer, then playing Qc7 would leave Black no choice but to initiate the perpetual checks and force the game into a Draw situation.

I have been in a number of games where I had a clear upper hand, only to have my opponent force the game into a Draw.  It almost felt like a loss, because I allowed my opponent to escape when I was so close to victory.  We all watch out for that accidental Stalemate situation, but what about the one where your opponent can thwart your victory by forcing a Draw.

As long as @zrylam has his Queen lurking just above my King, he has that option of forcing a Draw.  Now that I have played Qc3, I have eliminated that possibility.  The only thing that can happen now is that we exchange Queens if he puts my King in check.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #222

stubborn_d0nkey

Mainline_Novelty wrote:

I'll play you stubborn_donkey

Do you wanna be black or white? White opens the thread (with the first move in the first post) :)

• 3 years ago · Quote · #223

stubborn_d0nkey

• 3 years ago · Quote · #224

Samsch

• 3 years ago · Quote · #225

ChessisGood

This is getting popular!!!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #226

zrylam

All the best with your games, everyone! I can't seem to find a problem with the capture and seeing as no-one's suggesting otherwise, my next move is: 

35. ...Rxd6

• 3 years ago · Quote · #227

Daeru

Yea, I'd play if anyone is interested :D

• 3 years ago · Quote · #228

IncrediBill

@zrylam's last move, 35...Rd6 in Post # 228, has just put me down a pawn.  Not the end of the world, but I would certainly like to even things up again, considering that we are coming to the end of the game.

I could play 36.Qh8+ and force his King off the back rank, and then follow that up with the capture of his h7-pawn (evening things up) and saving tempo by putting him back in check again.

However, I do not like the idea of his doubled up Rooks bearing down on my singular Rook.  One slip up from me, and I could end up losing both of my Rooks in a lopsided exchange. 

Also, I do not like the idea of taking my Queen off of the third rank and leaving myself in the situation where my opponent could force a draw through a series of perpetual checks.  (See Post #221 and then Post #223)

I think the best option for me right now is to exchange his d6-Rook with my d1-Rook.  After that, I can worry about evening up the pawn situation.  Unless someone can come up with a different option, then I will make the Rook exchange my official move tomorrow.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #229

IncrediBill

As I pointed out in Post #230, I did not like the idea of his doubled up Rooks bearing down on my one lone Rook.  I will therefore do an exchange with him before worrying about evening up the pawns.

My official move is . . . . . . .36.Rxd6

• 3 years ago · Quote · #230

zrylam

I really really want to capture back with the Rook but both those diagonal pins look devastating so my next move is:

36. ...Qxd6

• 3 years ago · Quote · #231

IncrediBill

@zrylam had a 50-50 choice as to whether to recapture the Rook with either his Queen or his other Rook.  Between the two choices I think he made the better one.  If he had captured with his Rook, then the game could have unfolded as follows:

Of course, @zrylam is a lot smarter than to let the above sequence unfold exactly as I have suggested above (I was just rushing through some quick moves and scenarios).  However, I think that it does show that capturing with his Rook was the weaker of the two choices.

As far as the choice of capturing with the Queen . . . . . . . . ?

Well that is what we are about to find out.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #232

IncrediBill

Prior to the Rook exchange we just did, my plan was to even things up by avenging my pawn.  (I am currently down one pawn)  I don't see any other lines of attack, so I think the best option would be to avenge my pawn and get my Queen in behind the enemy lines.  I think it puts me in a better position as well.  So my plans are to move my Queen onto the h8 square and give check, followed by capturing the h7-pawn and giving check again.  Unless someone has a different strategy, then that is what I will make as my official move later tonight.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #233

IncrediBill

I've had 24 hours to run through some different scenerios, and the best move I seem to keep coming back to is the idea I expressed in Post #234.

Therefore, my official move is . . . . . 37.Qh8+

@zrylam is once again left with two possible choices, either moving his King to the e7 or f7 square.  In either case, I will be responding with 38.Qxh7+, creating the positions below.

If @zrylam just wants to jump straight to his move #38, and continue from the above position, then that is fine with me.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #234

zrylam

Your move has triggered a conditional move!

37. ...Kf7 (just in case you play Qg7+ or f3 etc.) 38. Qxh7+

i haven't completely ruled out the alternatives yet so i'll leave it here for the moment

• 3 years ago · Quote · #235

zrylam

38. ...Kf6

• 3 years ago · Quote · #236

IncrediBill

With the exception of @zrylam playing 38...Ke6, I had already planned on playing 39.Rg1, whether he moved his King to the e8, f8 or f6 squares.  I actually expected him to move to one of the back rank squares which, I think, would have ultimately cost me my b6-pawn.

Now that he has decided to move his King to the f6-square, I think that moving my Rook to the g1-square is warranted, now, more than ever, because it will allow my b6-pawn to live.

Here is how the game currently stands:

Unless someone has a different idea than 39.Rg1, I will make that my official move later tonight.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #237

IncrediBill

As I outined in Post #238.  My official move is . . . . . . 39.Rg1

Here is where the game stands:

• 3 years ago · Quote · #238

John_D

That is a very good move. I did not see that one. It will be interesting to see what @zylam is answering.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #239

zrylam

ohnoes... I only played Kf6 because the other options looked terrible so any suggestions would be handy right about now

• 3 years ago · Quote · #240

zrylam

well now no option is not an option so let's just try out 39. ...g5 then, shall we?

Post your reply: