Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Make Sure This Doesn't Happen To You...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #1

Samsch

Ok, this is an article I wrote today. I hope you enjoy!

THE FOUR MOVE CHECKMATE

By Samsch 

1.e4

This is a good move because it gives you a very nice center pawn and it allows your bishop and queen to develop smoothly. Just because you have a queen to move out, doesn't mean you should do it right away. If you move the queen out, it may be harassed and attacked. You should develop your other pieces before you develop your queen.

1.e5

This is a good move for the same reasons as above. It is the simplest way to grasp the center as black. Black can also play moves like 1.e6, 1.d5 and 1.c5 too. 

2.Bc4

This is a perfectly fine move. It is the start of The Bishop's Opening. Other good moves for white in this position are: 2.Nf3, 2.Nc3, 2.f4 and 2.d4. Normally, knights should be developed before bishops, but in this position it's absolutely fine.

2.Nc6

This move develops a good knight and it attacks the center. In the Bishop's Opening black can make moves like 2.c6, 2.Nf6, and 2.Nc6 (which was played in the game)

3.Qf3

This is a dubious move, and it's not very good. White's trying to start an attack against the f7 pawn, but black can just stop it by playing 2.Nf6 and 2.e6.

3.b6

Oh no! Black has blundered horribly! In some positions, this is a perfectly fine move. It gets ready to fiochetto your bishop and castle long. But watch what happens now…

4. Qxf7#

Black has used his bishop and his queen to easily trap black's king and get checkmate. Good Game!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #2

GlennBk

Hello Sam I read your four move checkmate and I was reminded of a long ago chessplayer called Giochino Greco who used to make up games to amuse himself.

He lived in Italy around 1600 and not too much is known about him.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #3

Samsch

GlennBk wrote:

Hello Sam I read your four move checkmate and I was reminded of a long ago chessplayer called Giochino Greco who used to make up games to amuse himself.

He lived in Italy around 1600 and not too much is known about him.

Cool!

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

TeraHammer

It is funny how you say that "You should develop your other pieces before you develop your queen.", then on your third move play Qf3 Tongue out

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

GlennBk

In the main line of the Scotch game the queen is used in this way to support the battle for the centre.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

Samsch

TeraHammer wrote:

It is funny how you say that "You should develop your other pieces before you develop your queen.", then on your third move play Qf3

No, this was an example of what NOT to do.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

r3_snaketamer

I love the 4 move checkmate

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

Samsch

r3_snaketamer wrote:

Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

helltank

A tense battle between the White and Black forces. Finally, Black's skillful queen maneuvering wins out.

1.f3

White wants to support his e-pawn when he plays e4. A glance at the position tells you fireworks are in store. 

1. ..e5 

Black has an unshakeable hold on the centre now!

2.g4

White doesn't mind; he has a crushing kingside attack!

3.Qh4#!!

Excellent! Only a true Grandmaster could have played this superb move! His Queen strikes like a viper and White is lost immediately!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

TeraHammer

Samsch wrote:
    TeraHammer wrote:

It is funny how you say that "You should develop your other pieces before you develop your queen.", then on your third move play Qf3

No, this was an example of what NOT to do.

I dont understand you. So you're saying this is not what you should play? Then why show it? Btw, a queen on f3 not a trivially bad position.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

r3_snaketamer

I use that opening everytime I'm white

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

Javan64

r3_snaketamer wrote:

As long as you are the checkmateR and not the checkmateE...

• 2 years ago · Quote · #13

r3_snaketamer

I have never falled for the 4-move checkmate, my sister has though.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #14

Samsch

r3_snaketamer wrote:

I have never falled for the 4-move checkmate, my sister has though.

LOL

• 2 years ago · Quote · #15

catirene

@TeraHammer, Qf3 is a "dubious" move.  That means that there is a response to it that proves it is not so good.  

Against a skilled player, this 4-move mate would never work.  But sometimes people make blunders (white's 3rd move in this game) and black takes advantage of it.

So, what is this game good for?  Try it in blitz against a low-rated opponent.  Maybe they will fall for it and you'll get an easy win.  

• 2 years ago · Quote · #16

Samsch

catirene wrote:

@TeraHammer, Qf3 is a "dubious" move.  That means that there is a response to it that proves it is not so good.  

Against a skilled player, this 4-move mate would never work.  But sometimes people make blunders (white's 3rd move in this game) and black takes advantage of it.

So, what is this game good for?  Try it in blitz against a low-rated opponent.  Maybe they will fall for it and you'll get an easy win.  

Yes, completely agreed.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #17

Gm_andrewfeng

The 4 mover Trap

• 2 years ago · Quote · #18

Samsch

Scarlet_chessmaster wrote:

The 4 mover Trap

Nice!!!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #19

GlennBk

Very pretty a trap within a trap. These type of things often appeal more to artists than serious chess players whose main concern is soundness an elusive concept.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

hrb264

thats a great checkmate (the trap i mean!)

Post your reply: