11370 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
When this happens:
Clearly, fuller explanation helps avoid miscommunications. Anyway, someone letting an attractive girl win does not necessarily mean that the player is bad in the first place. Chess skill is relative.
You double your oppponents pawns whenever it is possible and award your move a "!" in the post-mortem.
Reading through this thread there is indeed quite a lot of stuff that makes me a bad chess player!
- My opponent refers to me as NN.
- I play long strings of theory despite not having a clue what is going on in the game.
- I mix up e3 and e6, d3 and d6, c4 and f4, c5 and f5, c3 and c6 etc
- I have at least 4 chess books I haven't looked at yet
- I have lost games and my rating still went up.
- I enjoy debating whether bishops or knights are better.
- My opponent starts giggling after ten moves and after twelve moves I'm down a piece
- Everyone laughs when I offer a draw.
- I aspire to be considered a patzer.
- I think doubled pawns are twice as good (well, sometimes! )
- My idea of "opening preparation" is setting the pieces up on the right squares.
- The 7 year old I'm playing against begins to give me pointers.
- My long term strategy involves capturing any pieces that I can.
- I still think two dimensional chess is hard.
- I resign because they took my favorite pawn.
- I get checkmated in 1 move.
- My "surprise move" gets me checkmated.
- My flag refuses to move out of the fallen position before the game.
- My opponent offers me a draw on the first move of the game and I accept it.
- I have a "don't ask don't tell" rule for my rating.
- I play Nc3 in responce to the Alekhine.
- I fold on my first turn.
Last but not least:
I read through this entire thread to make sure I'm not doing anything that would make me a bad chess player.
You wish their could be a such thing as "one dimensional chess"
Your opponent says "J'adoube" and you reply "Bless you".
You roll your 20-sided dice and say "pawn attacks e4 square for 8 hitpoint of damage".
If you're like me you think that playing an mmo while a chess video lecture runs in the background counts as a good study session.
Signs your a bad chess player:
Ever have your opponent flip the table over after you checkmate him?
I did flip the board over once...but I was only ten. Another sign of a bad chess player; you're sure that soon (with a little more practice) you will be able to support yourself by playing chess.
You knock on the bottom of the playing table where your opponents king is to tip it over and claim that your opponent resigned
You make up new rules for new players.
You sweat so much while playing that you left a pool on the chair at your local chess club. Now they make you wear adult diapers convinced that you had wet yourself. In fact one time you did wet yourself when you thought you had a mate in 12.
It's a medical condition and it's not funny, why do you insist on handi-bashing the bladder impaired?
Which one is the medical condition, sweating or getting so excited that you wet yourself after seeing a mate in 12? I mean who wouldn't?
Wouldn't that be an interesting way to play? To capture an opponents piece, both players roll dice and if the one making the move has a higher roll, he gets to make that move. If he has a lower roll, he doesn't win the piece and forfeits the move.
I sometimes play chess with someone i know at work. Here are a few that actually apply to him:
youve fallen victim to scholars mateas white, youve played the line 1. h3?...e5 2. f3??-finding a whole new exciting way to be mated in 4you never push your pawns 2 spaces foward because its "a little bold" to put your pawns in the center of the boardyou spend almost every game with at least one bishop sitting on its starting square the whole game being blocked in by pawnsyour queen is always the 1st piece you movewhen you lose a piece tactically you refer to it as "a cheap trick"when you lose you sometimes refer to chess as "a game of luck"when you found out your opponent was an atheist you broke the cross off of his kings head!(and it was his own chess set too)you refuse to take the advice of stronger players because you actually call yourself "a genius"your opponent has to announce check everytime otherwise you may make an illegal moveyou dont know how en passant works, or queenside castlingwhile your opponents working on a mating attack your defending by trying to take as many undefended pawns as possible
5/22/2013 - Good Night to the Enemy
by navneethc a few minutes ago
Help kids learn chess and play with Friends and Family
by FUN_with_CHESS 3 minutes ago
Is it possible that there are psychic chess masters
by landwehr 6 minutes ago
Is Chess a 'Creative' Activity?
by landwehr 9 minutes ago
New Comment that Won't Go Away
by RedSoxpawn 10 minutes ago
why is my app not upgraded
by Springerrr 11 minutes ago
mAGNUS CARLSEN VS houdini 2 PRO
by Roeczak 12 minutes ago
como fechar um grupo aqui no chess.com ?
by malko 17 minutes ago
ChessFigRdrLite - Android OCR Program for Chess Figures
by ___mike___ 21 minutes ago
by Expertise87 21 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2013 Chess.com