10670 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
You have spent the requisite 10,000 hours in chess, but posting in forums instead of studying/playing/analyzing.
When this happens:
Clearly, fuller explanation helps avoid miscommunications. Anyway, someone letting an attractive girl win does not necessarily mean that the player is bad in the first place. Chess skill is relative.
You double your oppponents pawns whenever it is possible and award your move a "!" in the post-mortem.
Reading through this thread there is indeed quite a lot of stuff that makes me a bad chess player!
- My opponent refers to me as NN.
- I play long strings of theory despite not having a clue what is going on in the game.
- I mix up e3 and e6, d3 and d6, c4 and f4, c5 and f5, c3 and c6 etc
- I have at least 4 chess books I haven't looked at yet
- I have lost games and my rating still went up.
- I enjoy debating whether bishops or knights are better.
- My opponent starts giggling after ten moves and after twelve moves I'm down a piece
- Everyone laughs when I offer a draw.
- I aspire to be considered a patzer.
- I think doubled pawns are twice as good (well, sometimes! )
- My idea of "opening preparation" is setting the pieces up on the right squares.
- The 7 year old I'm playing against begins to give me pointers.
- My long term strategy involves capturing any pieces that I can.
- I still think two dimensional chess is hard.
- I resign because they took my favorite pawn.
- I get checkmated in 1 move.
- My "surprise move" gets me checkmated.
- My flag refuses to move out of the fallen position before the game.
- My opponent offers me a draw on the first move of the game and I accept it.
- I have a "don't ask don't tell" rule for my rating.
- I play Nc3 in responce to the Alekhine.
- I fold on my first turn.
Last but not least:
I read through this entire thread to make sure I'm not doing anything that would make me a bad chess player.
You wish their could be a such thing as "one dimensional chess"
Your opponent says "J'adoube" and you reply "Bless you".
You roll your 20-sided dice and say "pawn attacks e4 square for 8 hitpoint of damage".
If you're like me you think that playing an mmo while a chess video lecture runs in the background counts as a good study session.
Signs your a bad chess player:
Ever have your opponent flip the table over after you checkmate him?
I did flip the board over once...but I was only ten. Another sign of a bad chess player; you're sure that soon (with a little more practice) you will be able to support yourself by playing chess.
You knock on the bottom of the playing table where your opponents king is to tip it over and claim that your opponent resigned
You make up new rules for new players.
You sweat so much while playing that you left a pool on the chair at your local chess club. Now they make you wear adult diapers convinced that you had wet yourself. In fact one time you did wet yourself when you thought you had a mate in 12.
It's a medical condition and it's not funny, why do you insist on handi-bashing the bladder impaired?
Which one is the medical condition, sweating or getting so excited that you wet yourself after seeing a mate in 12? I mean who wouldn't?
Wouldn't that be an interesting way to play? To capture an opponents piece, both players roll dice and if the one making the move has a higher roll, he gets to make that move. If he has a lower roll, he doesn't win the piece and forfeits the move.
9/20/2014 - Going For The Touchdown
by aki907 3 minutes ago
Playing selective opening with ARENA chess
by Crappov 7 minutes ago
e4 c5 Nc3 Nc6 Bb5
by MSC157 11 minutes ago
Beat 1500+ (I'm under 900) ELO. What do you think?
by jauhin 13 minutes ago
needing a mentor
by RodolfoOlympia 27 minutes ago
Stuff Non-Chess Players Say
by camberfoil 29 minutes ago
Fun chess players game
by Joker-Jamal 30 minutes ago
Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set
by andy277 30 minutes ago
by Walter_Moina 34 minutes ago
by Brazil_World 63 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2014 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!