Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Signs you're a bad chess player

• 3 years ago · Quote · #201

dannyhume

You have spent the requisite 10,000 hours in chess, but posting in forums instead of studying/playing/analyzing.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #202

FianchettoThis

That wasn't what I was implying at all. I meant you let a girl win (no matter how good she is) because you think she's hot.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #203

FianchettoThis

When you read through this entire thread to make sure you aren't doing anything that would make you a bad chess player.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #204

FianchettoThis

When this happens:

And you decide it's a draw.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #205

whirlwind2011

FianchettoThis wrote:
    That wasn't what I was implying at all. I meant you let a girl win (no matter how good she is) because you think she's hot.

Clearly, fuller explanation helps avoid miscommunications. Anyway, someone letting an attractive girl win does not necessarily mean that the player is bad in the first place. Chess skill is relative.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #206

dschaef2

You double your oppponents pawns whenever it is possible and award your move a "!" in the post-mortem.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #207

Conzipe

Reading through this thread there is indeed quite a lot of stuff that makes me a bad chess player! Yell

- My opponent refers to me as NN.

- I play long strings of theory despite not having a clue what is going on in the game.

- I mix up e3 and e6, d3 and d6, c4 and f4, c5 and f5, c3 and c6 etc

- I have at least 4 chess books I haven't looked at yet

- I have lost games and my rating still went up.

- I enjoy debating whether bishops or knights are better.

- My opponent starts giggling after ten moves and after twelve moves I'm down a piece

- Everyone laughs when I offer a draw.

- I aspire to be considered a patzer.

- I think doubled pawns are twice as good (well, sometimes! Wink)

- My idea of "opening preparation" is setting the pieces up on the right squares.

- The 7 year old I'm playing against begins to give me pointers.

- My long term strategy involves capturing any pieces that I can.

- I still think two dimensional chess is hard.

- I resign because they took my favorite pawn.

- I get checkmated in 1 move.

- My "surprise move" gets me checkmated.

- My flag refuses to move out of the fallen position before the game.

- My opponent offers me a draw on the first move of the game and I accept it.

- I have a "don't ask don't tell" rule for my rating.

- I play Nc3 in responce to the Alekhine.

- I fold on my first turn.

Last but not least:

I read through this entire thread to make sure I'm not doing anything that would make me a bad chess player.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #208

MoonlessNight

You wish their could be a such thing as "one dimensional chess"

• 3 years ago · Quote · #209

BobLorna

Elroch wrote:

Your opponent says "J'adoube" and you reply "Bless you".

Gazoonthite!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #210

Kolob68

You roll your 20-sided dice and say "pawn attacks e4 square for 8 hitpoint of damage".

• 3 years ago · Quote · #211

jmsmr712

If you're like me you think that playing an mmo while a chess video lecture runs in the background counts as a good study session.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #212

MyCowsCanFly

Signs your a bad chess player:

• You are looking for a way to improve your game that has immediate results, requires no effort, costs nothing, and lasts forever.
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #213

brianb42

Hunadora wrote:

Ever have your opponent flip the table over after you checkmate him?

I did flip the board over once...but I was only ten. Another sign of a bad chess player; you're sure that soon (with a little more practice) you will be able to support yourself by playing chess.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #214

MoonlessNight

You knock on the bottom of the playing table where your opponents king is to tip it over and claim that your opponent resigned

• 3 years ago · Quote · #215

GeordiLaForge

You make up new rules for new players.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #216

frrixz

GeordiLaForge wrote:

You make up new rules for new players.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #217

ploboo

You sweat so much while playing that you left a pool on the chair at your local chess club. Now they make you wear adult diapers convinced that you had wet yourself. In fact one time you did wet yourself when you thought you had a mate in 12.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #218

GeordiLaForge

ploboo wrote:

You sweat so much while playing that you left a pool on the chair at your local chess club. Now they make you wear adult diapers convinced that you had wet yourself. In fact one time you did wet yourself when you thought you had a mate in 12.

It's a medical condition and it's not funny, why do you insist on handi-bashing the bladder impaired?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #219

ploboo

GeordiLaForge wrote:
    ploboo wrote:

It's a medical condition and it's not funny, why do you insist on handi-bashing the bladder impaired?

Which one is the medical condition, sweating or getting so excited that you wet yourself after seeing a mate in 12? I mean who wouldn't?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #220

N2UHC

Kolob68 wrote:

You roll your 20-sided dice and say "pawn attacks e4 square for 8 hitpoint of damage".

Wouldn't that be an interesting way to play?  To capture an opponents piece, both players roll dice and if the one making the move has a higher roll, he gets to make that move.  If he has a lower roll, he doesn't win the piece and forfeits the move.

Post your reply: