Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Signs you're a bad chess player

• 3 years ago · Quote · #141

DACKZANOUS

When you have to make fun of other players, so you can feel superior.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #142

Unicyclist

Whoa, this thread isn't meant to be mean to anyone. If you look through it it's more or less just a collection of chess jokes. Except for Jetfighter13's latest posts, which are a little mean, but he's the only one.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #143

jetfighter13

sorry bout that, how bout if you post a game and after posting it that you made a horrendous blunder and suddenly delete it like i just did

• 3 years ago · Quote · #144

MyCowsCanFly

I think we are just making fun of ourselves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #145

AnthonyCG

jetfighter13 wrote:

thats not the point, e5 is a natural move, and playing Nc3 is defensive, almost giving up the advantage of the first move

and best by test statement, means that you recklessly trust people and dont think and do research on what people tell you

How is 2.Nc3 not natural? It protects the pawn which is being attacked and develops a piece at the same time. How is that not natural? Perhaps you mean to say that it isn't what you wanted to see when you played 1...Nf6? And now you will arrogantly condemn it as a bad move because of this? Then there would be some logic in your statements.

Players 1000 points higher than you religiously meet 1...Nf6 with 2.Nc3. There's nothing weak about it and probably the most common move you'll see below 2000. If anything 2.Nc3 is quite the psychological play seeing as you force Black into playing a king's pawn opening that they may already know or push Black into making some move that makes his job much harder than it should be. Like it or not you need to respect that move and bone up on your four knights and Vienna game.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #146

ploboo

You always carry an aerosol can with a lighter to tournaments. Although you've never used them, if things get really bad on the board you're fairly sure you can work them and turn yourself into a human torch and get a draw, as well as a little sympathy. 

Or turn the flame on the board and your opponent and claim they spontaneously combusted.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #147

chessdude46

You drink lighter fluid and say it's an energy drink.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #148

jetfighter13

AnthonyCG wrote:
    jetfighter13 wrote:

thats not the point, e5 is a natural move, and playing Nc3 is defensive, almost giving up the advantage of the first move

and best by test statement, means that you recklessly trust people and dont think and do research on what people tell you

How is 2.Nc3 not natural? It protects the pawn which is being attacked and develops a piece at the same time. How is that not natural? Perhaps you mean to say that it isn't what you wanted to see when you played 1...Nf6? And now you will arrogantly condemn it as a bad move because of this? Then there would be some logic in your statements.

Players 1000 points higher than you religiously meet 1...Nf6 with 2.Nc3. There's nothing weak about it and probably the most common move you'll see below 2000. If anything 2.Nc3 is quite the psychological play seeing as you force Black into playing a king's pawn opening that they may already know or push Black into making some move that makes his job much harder than it should be. Like it or not you need to respect that move and bone up on your four knights and Vienna game.

I do know my Vienna and Four Knights, it is just that when I play the Alekhine, i want to play the Alekhine, not some open game, I say to those who do play Nc3 grow a pair and attack the knight

• 3 years ago · Quote · #149

chessdude46

Can we go back to the original topic, please?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #150

jetfighter13

you see a double exclam move, but dont play it because it is unfair to the opponent

• 3 years ago · Quote · #151

AnthonyCG

jetfighter13 wrote:
    AnthonyCG wrote:
    jetfighter13 wrote:

I do know my Vienna and Four Knights, it is just that when I play the Alekhine, i want to play the Alekhine, not some open game, I say to those who do play Nc3 grow a pair and attack the knight

Why would anyone play 2.e5 when they can beat you with 2.Nc3?

Not only only have I gotten in your head by moving a plastic horsey which may cause you to err early on but I also sidesep all of your theory and put you in a position that I have played numerous times and am likely to have more understanding of. Thus my winning chances may have increased already.

That is the mentality of playing so-called "inferior" moves. If you are not playing an opponent that will punish you for it then there is no logical reason to waste time with other moves unless you really want to.

And Nakamura among many GMs have been known to trot out 2.Nc3 and he has even played the Alekhine himself.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #152

whirlwind2011

@jetfighter13: While I believe 2. e5 is stronger than 2. Nc3 in the Alekhine Defense, I absolutely do not see the latter as a cowardly move. AnthonyCG gave many splendid reasons to steer the game that way. Instead, White takes the bull by the horns, so to speak, and undermines Black's attempt to steal the initiative.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #153

jetfighter13

I play e5 only to gain a huge center so i can use it latter, however no one plays the alekhine as black but me

• 3 years ago · Quote · #154

whirlwind2011

jetfighter13 wrote:

I play e5 only to gain a huge center so i can use it latter, however no one plays the alekhine as black but me

Surely, you don't mean this literally! Laughing

• 3 years ago · Quote · #155

Iamthelizardking

jetfighter13 wrote:

I play the Alekhine about 1/3 of the time.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #156

jetfighter13

well here atleast, i have never seen the Alekhine but when I play as black, it is a shame to

• 3 years ago · Quote · #157

AnthonyCG

It would be funny if everyone here played it lol.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #158

ploboo

You arrive at your first OTB tournament and because you learnt all your chess from chess.com always resign after your third move. Sadly you realise that you'll have no wins, but are content with the fact that you'll walk away with a heap of draws!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #159

AnthonyCG

You fold on your first turn.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #160

frrixz

You exclaim "you sunk my battleship!" when your opponent plays 1. e4

Post your reply: