Forums

[1450] A Tired Travesty

Sort:
TaintedStreetlight

A game against a much higher-rated player, that I did well in until the very end.  And then it was blunder after blunder.  I think however, the game would have been much better played quietly, for a number of reasons.  Being tired is no excuse, but it did factor into my play.  Hence the horrible blunders at the end of the game.  This said, I'll apreciate any pointers or suggestions.
Thank you for your time!
poet_d

15 ...Qxg3 leads to a nice mate.

Jitesh
poet666 wrote:

15 ...Qxg3 leads to a nice mate.

Can you please elaborate on possible moves that lead to mate after 15..Qxg3?

Thx.

Dark--Horse

15...Qxg3+ 16 Kh1 (16 Bg2 Bxh3 and 17...Qxg2#) 16...Qxh3+ 17. Kg1 Be5 18. Re1 Qh2+ 19. Kf1 Bh3+ 20. Bg2 Bxg2#

Jitesh

Nice.

Thanks - I guess I could not think of 17..Be5.

poet_d
Jitesh wrote:

Nice.

Thanks - I guess I could not think of 17..Be5.

Blacks dark square bishop staring at f2 and anything placed on g3 should always set alarm bells ringing.

Be5 was a little tough to spot, but I knew the move was there, Whites rook boxes him into that corner and with both bishops and the queen aiming at it mate was an inevitability.

flashboy2222

u just didnt see the pin

TaintedStreetlight

Yeah, there were bound to be missed opportunities by both sides because the game was so tactical.  It annoys me though that I missed a checkmate, I considered taking with the queen there, but I didn't think it did anything (missing the be5 move).  Does anyone think that instead of making this the loud game I did, I should have just sat back with the advantage of my position, with the knight and bishop locked on the side of the board?