Forums

A tactical game

Sort:
cofail

Hi, 

I played this tactical game recently. It was very interesting a I wondered if anyone could see any improvements.

Thanks in advance for any analysis.

Remellion

Regarding the question about threefold repetition at the move 17 variation: No, it is not yet threefold, as the condition is "the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same" including en passant and castling.

18. 0-0-0 was cute. The king is strangely safer there than after 18. 0-0 f3!, but your analysed 18. Nxf4 is stronger for sure.

21. g4 is a nice idea. I like it. 21. g4 fxg3 e.p. (the best try?) 22. Rdg1!? gxf2 23. Rg5 Qf3 24. Qc1 with chaos, though.

23. c5!? might have been interesting too. Weakens e5, and perhaps you can pile on the g-file, e5 and g7 like in the game, just a few moves earlier.

25. c5 is very nice. Beautiful and a natural continuation to the attack, involving the queen.

cofail
Remellion wrote:

Regarding the question about threefold repetition at the move 17 variation: No, it is not yet threefold, as the condition is "the possible moves of all the pieces of both players are the same" including en passant and castling.

18. 0-0-0 was cute. The king is strangely safer there than after 18. 0-0 f3!, but your analysed 18. Nxf4 is stronger for sure.

21. g4 is a nice idea. I like it. 21. g4 fxg3 e.p. (the best try?) 22. Rdg1!? gxf2 23. Rg5 Qf3 24. Qc1 with chaos, though.

23. c5!? might have been interesting too. Weakens e5, and perhaps you can pile on the g-file, e5 and g7 like in the game, just a few moves earlier.

25. c5 is very nice. Beautiful and a natural continuation to the attack, involving the queen.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't seen the idea of allowing gxf2 when I played g4 I was going to open the f-file, but that is perhaps better.

23. c5 looks interesting, but if I follow up with f3 then the rook on h1 may be lost in some lines after Bxf3. 

I was kind of luckly to find c5, after realising there was nothing to be gained from f3, giving up a rook on g4, or taking on f5, I played c5 pretty quickly because it at least did some stuff. Fortunately it worked out.

Thanks for the answer on the three-fold repitition thing, I should probably have a better understanding of the rules, but these things come up so rarely that it is hard to remember all the details.

cofail

Thanks, I am not 100% sure, but I think after Nd5 Be7 is theory, rather than Nxd5.