Forums

Boring Draw

Sort:
elo123

Was there anyway me or my opponent could have improved in this game, preferably a missed tactic, that would have kept this game from being drawn?

Scottrf

10. Qxd8 Rxd8 (or Kxd8) 11. Nxe5.

Scottrf

I just realised you were black.

I think (can't be bothered to calculate), that playing 33...h4 and giving white the move might mean you could outflank and attack his pawns.

Moneychess16

white is missing to many good moves where would they could of been up a piece

Stormstout

@Scottrf nope. It's a draw even if 34.Ke3 Ke5! 35.Kf3 Kd4 36.Kf2. g5 pawn is too close.

Insanistis

33...h4 draws

27...h4 seems more interesting

LoveYouSoMuch

white's 5 e3 is an inaccuracy. Bb4+ is right, but you should wreck his pawn structure with dxe3 (same if he had played 6 Bd2 - still dxe3 exploiting the pin and threatening exf2+)

as played the position after move 15 feels quite drawish.
that said, 27.. h4 might or might not win - work it out yourself. :p

dzikus

You were lucky white did not exploit your blunder

12...Qxd1?? 13.Bxd1 would leave white with a piece up!

waffllemaster

33...h4 wins.

LoveYouSoMuch

close but no - leads to a Q vs Q ending i think.

waffllemaster

Oh, I see white queens too.  Well it's a good try anyway :p

LoveYouSoMuch

yeah. it'd show good form to at least try it :P

GainCity

31.Ke3? Why did you not take the initiative and push into his territory. Ke3 solidifies a draw while Kd4 gives white the oppurtunity to win.

Edit: i was unaware that you were black. I would say that you were lucky to excape with half a point, white had many chances that were not capitalised on.

dzikus
GainCity napisał:

31.Ke3? Why did you not take the initiative and push into his territory. Ke3 solidifies a draw while Kd4 gives white the oppurtunity to win.

Edit: i was unaware that you were black. I would say that you were lucky to excape with half a point, white had many chances that were not capitalised on.

If you mean 31.Kd4 instead of 31.Ke3 then a simple calculation comes:

31.Kd4 h4 32.g4 Kf4 and now white has 9 moves to queen (Kc5-b5xa6xb5, a4-a5-a6-a7-a8) and black needs 7 (Kg3xh3xg4, h4-h3-h2-h1)

Black would win the race, moreover Qh1 controls a8 and block a7-a8

Thus 31.Ke3 was the right move otherwise white would lose

LoveYouSoMuch

after 31 Kd4 white has a few (unlikely) chances to go wrong. imo black's best try is h4 and then

Insanistis

27...h4 proof it's 0-1

FrodoPiano

You and/or your opponent shouldn't have moved your kings like that. You should have moved them in different directions, which would have lengthened your game. Even though there would be a boring endgame, it would be possible to capture pawns and promote. However, the chances of that would be extremely unlikely, and so I think the game should have been a draw overall. Good game.

GainCity
dzikus wrote:
GainCity napisał:

If you mean 31.Kd4 instead of 31.Ke3 then a simple calculation comes:

31.Kd4 h4 32.g4 Kf4 and now white has 9 moves to queen (Kc5-b5xa6xb5, a4-a5-a6-a7-a8) and black needs 7 (Kg3xh3xg4, h4-h3-h2-h1)

Black would win the race, moreover Qh1 controls a8 and block a7-a8

Thus 31.Ke3 was the right move otherwise white would lose

32. g4?? is a terrible blunder and as loveyou pointed out, 32.gxh4 also leads to a draw. My point was that white was definitely better and if black did not play 31...h4 then he would be in a losing position, but h4 creates an equal position, and in a game filled with blunders the sharpest possible move Kd4 gives white his only chance to win.