Forums

can someone please take a look at this game and see where im going wrong

Sort:
Blunderingbishop

Pyrfox

Agree TCEC, also 7. Nc3 is a tactical mistake you could have taken advantage of.

Blunderingbishop

ok thanks for that i try to analyse the games in fritz but it always says certain moves are wrong but never why,it all seems like guesswork to be honest

Sred

There were mistakes on both sides in the opening. Note that you have a very good endgame after 15.Bf4. In the endgame, the king becomes an attacking piece, there is no need to try to hide it on the baseline, disturbing your rooks. Just activate your pieces (for example, 15...Rhe8) and you'll be fine.

Blunderingbishop

very helpful thanks everyone i have just gone through what you said and now learnt that 16..kf8 was a big mistake which will help me in future games much appreciated thanks for your time Smile

Blunderingbishop

at what point in the game should i start using the king as an attacking piece instead of keeping it castled away?

Sred
pauwi9 wrote:

at what point in the game should i start using the king as an attacking piece instead of keeping it castled away?

Depends on the position (as always), usually when there is not enough material left to seriously annoy your king.

Blunderingbishop
Blunderingbishop

that was another game i played today that i actually won i played as white but i still struggled

Sred

Addition: Note that f6 is very fine for your king since it's a dark square (your opponent has a light bishop, you don't) and not on an open file where a rook can attack it.

Sred
LongIslandMark wrote:

Was there anything wrong with 4...Nxe4

No, of course not.

Blunderingbishop

yeah thats something else sred that i didnt think about during the game and i should have,thing is at 1 time about 6 months ago my elo rating had gone up to like 1760 on online 3 day games and now im struggling to hit 1300 and im practicing more

Blunderingbishop

that was on a different app though and i dont think the elo ratings on there are very accurate

Mal_Smith

I just checked this in my database, as it seemed "ok" to me, and I think I'm right as 14 rated players made this move, with black winning a "reasonable" percentage of games. I think d5 is a very promising move, taking control of the centre, but perhaps it made you over-confident...

I think the real problems come at around move 7... you have a N and B sitting undefended in the middle of the board. And after 8... another N joins them... so that's all four minor pieces you have hanging in space with no support... It makes me giddy just looking at it...

I think you only came out well because your opponent let you fork his R & Q. If he'd played 10.RxP+ I think that also has you also losing at least one bishop.

Why not 7...bd6 rather than 7...bc4, then your bishop is developed *and* defended, *and* defends a pawn.

I used to lose pieces often in these kinds of exchanges I've become very defensive and it's paying off. So i'd definitely play 7... bd6 (I love that move!) and would be thinking strongly about retreating N when it's attacked (another favourite...)

Note this is referring to the first game. (Put new games in new threads, otherwise you end up with another combinatorial nightmare Embarassed)

Rule O: Safety first!

Mal_Smith
pfren wrote:

4...d5 is risky (borderline unsound), but playable. I have won a game as Black with it in just 16 moves.

But Black has to play more actively... 6...Be6? drops the e5 pawn for nothing (no idea why white did not gobble it), 6...Bc5 is a must.

Why not 6...Bd6 to defend the e5 pawn? Then 7...O-O? Doesn't 6...Bc5 risk the B being attacked by the pawn, and the Q coming out after the exchange? I just read that Lasker didn't like pinning the Q, but the article didn't give a reason.

EDIT: Or was that "didn't like pinning the Q *before castling*". I now see that to chase the bishop away white would have to wreck his K side pawn fortress. Before castling he could do this (as in the Ruy Lopez) and castle Q side.

P.S. Blimey this game is difficult...