Forums

Check out this bishop pressure

Sort:
SmurfOnSteroids

Had he taken the bait, I would have captured the knight, check, and rook takes queen.

At the end black resigns, he sees that Bxd7f+, followed by Qb8#. The only wayt o stop this is if black plays Qg5, except that white's knight is covering the square, thus the game is over.

He couldal so play f6, but he'll still lose his rook for nothing in exchange, with the queen terrorizing his pawns from behind.

Anyway, I've noticed that being able to prevent people from castling amd putting my rook on the b rank often wins me games. I thought I'd share this.

blueemu

Did Black miss 22. ... Nxe3?

SmurfOnSteroids

If Nxe3 is followed be the F pawn capping back at e3, does something bad happen for white?

blueemu

Qxg2 mate?

SmurfOnSteroids

I suppose we both missed that; however, had he actually played that, and I had looked at the board for more than 5 seconds, I would have chosen Qb3, attacking the rook and knight, if he caps my rook, I'll cap his, and that queenside threat of checkmate is still impossible to stop without losing his 2nd rook.

blueemu
EdwardKingSolomon wrote:

I suppose we both missed that; however, had he actually played that, and I had looked at the board for more than 5 seconds, I would have chosen Qb3, attacking the rook and knight, if he caps my rook, I'll cap his, and that queenside threat of checkmate is still impossible to stop without losing his 2nd rook.

No, no...

22. ... Nxe3 threatens both your Queen and mate on g2 (the Black Knight and Queen both attack g2).

You lose your Queen.

Check the diagram above (mine or yours).

SmurfOnSteroids

THat's actually pretty funny now that I'm looking at the whole situtation lol. Well we each had less than a minute at that point on our clocks, so....

but how did you like those bishops, especially 18:Bb6

blueemu

I liked the game. The tactic that I pointed out (22. ... Nxe3) doesn't change the fact that you played the whole game well above your rated strength.

One of my own favorite games (from an OTB tournament many years ago) has a similar huge hole in the combination... but I'm still very happy with the game, mistakes and all. I could post it if you wanted to see it.

waffllemaster

Aww, blueemu's Nxe3 would have been a heart breaker.  Otherwise you really bullied him this game.  Good game.

ElKitch

Yes.. I had to look a couple times very good to see why he wouldnt take a piece. Those are tactics that I only see in online games when I take alot of time. Very nice! And also the mate/threat by Emu in #4.

SmurfOnSteroids

I would like to see it :)  I wathc 30 minute youtube videos of famous games all the time. Just learned how to checkmate with bishop and knight too!

eddysallin

#22......nxp(e3) wins the q.

blueemu
EdwardKingSolomon wrote:

I would like to see it :)

This was a tournament game from about 37 years ago:

EDIT: Dang! I accidentally reversed the names. It's Brian Boyce vs Blue Emu. I played Black, not White.

SmurfOnSteroids

What makes white play 12:Bxf6?

Why does white not play 31: Qxb2

SmurfOnSteroids

Also, last April I put a game up where I also used the bishop to block castling.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/does-8-ba6-preventing-whites-castle-win-the-game-in-the-long-run

On this game we had a one hour timer, so I was able to think things through nicely.

blueemu

Move 12: I was threatening 12. ... g5 13. fxg5 hxg5 14. Bxg5 Nh5 (attacking the Queen) followed by capturing on g5, winning a piece.

Move 31: He could play 31. Qxb2, yes... but that leaves his Bishop on c4 undefended, and I would reply 31. ... Qxc4. It might have been better than the move he actually played... but we were in a time-scramble at that point, with both of our flags hanging.

EDIT: Yeah, that earlier game (against Karpov007) looks pretty good.

AndyClifton

19... Rxa5 appears viable.

SmurfOnSteroids

If he plays 19 Rx15, then I play Bxd7+, QUeen captures, then my rook moves up and pins the bishop, you can double the rooks afterwards, even if he castles, in the end he ends up with a bishop and rook blocked in far a very long time. SO instead of being up a piece, he's is playing down a piece for many many moves, while my two rooks, queen, and knight charge around the board with two pass pawns.

19: Bxa5 Rxa5

24. Qb4 is an example. Black is crippled here.

eddysallin
EdwardKingSolomon wrote:

#22....    if black plays nxe6,Qb3,Qxg2 is mate. If Pxn,Qxg2 is mate. If nxe6 ,pg3,nxQ. Play of bishops was outstanding .

AndyClifton
EdwardKingSolomon wrote:

Black is a piece up there.  The burden of proof is on you.