Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Could I have had a breakthrough here..?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

StrategicPlay

OK. This was a game against a friend which I lost (pretty badly). At one stage, it seemed like a dead draw. Both of us were whiling around and he sent me a draw offer too. I declined, thinking that I could risk something since it was only unrated, and hence came move 49. 

I know that was like the worst move ever, but could I have had a better move to break through his pawn structure and gain a win? Any opinions are welcome. 

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

AndyClifton

37 Rxb3 wins.  And Black should've played 39... Bb4.

That endgame was fascinating (and a huge headache!...lol).  One way for White to play is to keep the pawn on f2.  Then approach with the king via the queenside over to the e8 square.  The winning idea will be to play the rook to b7 (or f3), thus winning off the f-pawn.  Then Black's other pawns will fall, and all you have to do is hold on to your own.  Keeping the pawn on f2 probably makes this easier.

Even with it on f4 though, there is still a win.  In the position after Black's 43rd move the only way that Black can hope to attack White's pawns with his bishop is from the square a5.  So you play 44 Ke3 Be7 45 Kd3 Bd8 46 Ra1 followed by Ra4, and Black's bishop will never be able to attack your pawns.  Then you move your king in toward the e8 square.  If Black attempts to move his king toward yours, your rook should always be able to force him back to protect the f-pawn; if not, you will move your rook to the seventh rank when the time comes to pick off that pawn.  You may have to allow his bishop out of its prison to attack your pawns, but by then it should be too late.

Very interesting endgame! Smile

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

StrategicPlay

Yeah, I guess I just missed Rxb3 (and also an extra Bishop after that). Tongue out

And moving the King all over the Queenside to attack f7 was a good idea I'd have never thought of. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Smile

• 2 years ago · Quote · #4

gouridas

Strat,u could have played Nf3 in ur 5th ,6th or 7th move

but u moved a3 and concentrated that side

a developing move like Nf3 with control over d4 and e5 was better!

• 2 years ago · Quote · #5

totalPusstruction

u lostTongue Out

• 2 years ago · Quote · #6

slide_checkmate

Why did he promote the first one to a knight? lol

• 2 years ago · Quote · #7

StrategicPlay

slide_checkmate wrote:

That's what I was thinking when he did that. 

• 2 years ago · Quote · #8

slide_checkmate

lol

• 2 years ago · Quote · #9

saunved

StrategicPlay wrote:
    slide_checkmate wrote:

That's what I was thinking when he did that. 

He knew the first one was gonna die anyways...so he just made a knight out of it (so that he wouldnt feel too sad when it died)! Laughing

• 2 years ago · Quote · #10

StrategicPlay

Agreed. Laughing

Keeping up the confidence.

• 2 years ago · Quote · #11

e2-e4_1-0

I would focus on knowing what to do with your rook in the endgame.  You spent a lot of moves chasing his bishop which can't accomplish anything.  

• 2 years ago · Quote · #12

StrategicPlay

I know. It was just like a dead draw but somehow I didn't feel like getting a draw for it.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #13

ShyamGopal

u get frustrated easily Jaidev,do medidation,control ur emotions

• 17 months ago · Quote · #14

StrategicPlay

ShyamGopal wrote:

u get frustrated easily Jaidev,do medidation,control ur emotions

Yes, sure. 

Well, do you do all that?

Post your reply: