Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Draw against a 2100

• 4 years ago · Quote · #1

radar6590

This is a game I played today, 5 mins, so blitz, against a 2100. I drew the game because I couldn't really see a way to make progress, though computer analysis gives me about +-1.30. I know I missed Bxf7 during the game, but any other analysis on it would be appreciated. How would I go about converting my one pawn advantage in this game?

• 4 years ago · Quote · #2

computerrat

1.  fried liver is much more interesting to play

2.  Bc4 - Ba6 - Bb7 makes him do something not necessarily going to get u anywhere though

3.  u could also have tried getting ur rook to the b file and going for the pawns over there

• 4 years ago · Quote · #3

galacticking

I know I'm a lot lower rated player but here's my comments.

The endgame is bishops of opposite colors so that's very drawish right there.

Even the really good computer programs will show a strong advantage with a material advantage, even though, ultimately you might not be able to create a passed pawn. Especially with the opposite color bishops. So I would be asking, given the opposite bishops and your respective king positions where could you actually have created a passed pawn. The position is very locked. Probably have to go back to early middle game and see where you could have created an advantageous open file or diagonal.

Plus did you really have to exchange queens at that point in the game, although your opponents queen position would have been better.

I enjoyed playing through the game.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #5

radar6590

@Galactic King: You're probably right about the endgame with bishops of opposite color. Though as long as I kept the rooks on the board I don't think it's hopless with very very accurate play. Unfortunately I am not as strong as computer programs, haha, so you're right that I should have found something better in the middlegame.

As for the queen Exchange, he's attacking my pawn at c3, I'd have to retreat, 18.Qd2 or Qc1. Those moves are so passive that I really just couldn't bear to play them. While taking the queen does repair his pawn structure, it also falls under the principal of trading down when ahead, and the space of the players is roughly equal. That was my thinking anyway.

And thanks, glad you enjoyed it. :)

@Chessnetwork You're absolutely right about the knight move. The bishop is useless there, why allow him to trade it for my powerful knight? Astute observation. :D Thanks for the thought.

• 4 years ago · Quote · #6

FunGamesPlease

The main weakness I saw in the middlegame was the queen trade; when only a pawn up without the prospects of trading all pieces, trading down while only a pawn up can mean drifting into a draw. His pawn structure was weak, which is a static weakness, which means a long term disadvantage. It seems to be a bit shortsighted to say, "I don't want to make a defensive (not really passive) move now, even if the resulting position puts my opponent on the defensive."

But when playing someone rated that much above you, we all make moves that we wouldn't normally make against other players, for fear that they have the ability to wriggle their way out.

The resulting endgame is a tough nut to crack, simply because the center is (in terms of free movement for the white king) blocked while blacks pawns mainly stand on black squares. One try would be to bring the rook to g8 with the idea of swinging it over to b8. This would put pressure on the part of blacks structure that's holding back whites center. If you fear that black may gain the pawn on h3, I am right there with you, but there are plenty of tactics to stave off a queening pawn. Just some food for thought.

Post your reply: