2014 Sinquefield Cup is LIVE! Open to ALL MEMBERS! Join GM Ashley, GM Seirawan and WGM Shahade! Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Eric's sacrifice-of-the-day

• 5 years ago · Quote · #1

elindauer

Here's a fun sacrifice out of a King's gambit I played today:

Hope you enjoyed it.  Thanks for reading.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #2

gambitsareok

I did Bxf7+  Kxf7  Ng5 double check (I had already castled) Ke8 Qxg4 in a game. It was very fun. Thanks for the post. The castle into check looked like a great move to me.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #3

tbischel

your note on move 8... "Threatening Bxf7+ Kxf7, Kg5+ followed by Qxg4 when I would be up two pawns and holding a strong attack on the black king.", is not quite right.  If Bxf7 Kxf7 Ng5+ QxN! and black stays ahead because of the counter threats to white's queen

• 5 years ago · Quote · #4

gambitsareok

tbischel wrote:

your note on move 8... "Threatening Bxf7+ Kxf7, Kg5+ followed by Qxg4 when I would be up two pawns and holding a strong attack on the black king.", is not quite right.  If Bxf7 Kxf7 Ng5+ QxN! and black stays ahead because of the counter threats to white's queen

Thought I had that in a tactics training. Probably why I castled so it would be double check with knight and rook.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #5

Lurker87

Excellent. I love that f-file in the KG :) So many fun things to do with it!

• 5 years ago · Quote · #6

elindauer

tbischel wrote:

QxN is a good defense, but white will still win the piece back.  For example, BxQ, BxQ KxB leaving white up a pawn.

I think there is some hope that O-O+ will now result in getting the piece back with an attack, ie, O-O+ Ke8 BxQ BxQ RxQ where white is up 2 pawns and much better.  The main concern would be O-O+ Kg5, when black remains up a piece but at the cost of a highly exposed king that may cost him the game.  I don't know if white has enough compensation here, but it certainly look promising.  Qe1-f2 threatening mate on f7 looks very promising, and black will have a hard time defending his exposed king once the white queenside pieces get into the game.

Thanks for the comments.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #7

tbischel

As far as I can tell in your line, white is still down a piece for two pawns, and I don't see enough compensation.  After black plays for instance, Nc4 or Be7, I feel like black has a comfortable edge.  Nxd4 is playable too.  The Kg5 line may even be worse, as white is down two pieces for two pawns, and very little attack.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #8

joshgregory7

tbischel your example shows correct play but it isnt the same game shown above.  there is a bishop on e7

• 5 years ago · Quote · #9

tbischel

this was in response to the on note move 8 (hypothetical continuation from a pass move by black)... see the previous parts of the thread.

• 5 years ago · Quote · #10

elindauer

tbischel wrote:

As far as I can tell in your line, white is still down a piece for two pawns, and I don't see enough compensation.  After black plays for instance, Nc4 or Be7, I feel like black has a comfortable edge.  Nxd4 is playable too.  The Kg5 line may even be worse, as white is down two pieces for two pawns, and very little attack.

Thanks. You're right!

• 4 years ago · Quote · #11

wishiwonthatone

That was brilliant. Wow.

Post your reply: