Forums

Expert/Master Notation

Sort:
heister

I started a thread this past summer to analyze players games who are rated between 1000-2000.  I've had several experts post on that thead, so I thought I would start this one for that purpose.  This thread is dedicated to analysis of expert/master level play.  If you are an expert, feel free to post your game here.  Otherwise, I will be choosing historical or current master level chess games to notate.   

If you are a master and would like to showcase a game, feel free.

Dude_3

Im a gm. Analyse my games.

heister

Any requests for games are welcome!
SmyslovFan

Did you author the comments in the Pillsbury-Lasker game, or did someone else? If it was someone else, you should give credit where due.

heister

I don't plan to add any bibliography on where I research the history behind the games.  The comments on the moves are always my own, and I will never copy any text in that regard.  This may be more apparent when I do a game from a current tournament/master.  Thx.

SmyslovFan

Ok, thanks for clarifying. As you probably know, there are quite a few threads here with games that are just lifted off other sites.

Somebodysson

thread title should be changed to "annotation". I came here looking for a new kind of move notation that masters use Surprised

still, nice that smyslovfan is here. Haven't seen you for awhile. 

akafett

Alright, Someone explain to me 2...e6. It seems that black should have played 2...c6 so that he would have two center pawns if exchange took place.

SmyslovFan

Akafett, there are only two ways to defend the d5 pawn without losing tempi, 2....c6 and 2...e6. (2....Nf6?! loses tempi to 3.exd5 Nxd5 4.e4, for example)

2...c6 does leave the diagonal open for the light-squared Bishop, but if white does not take on d5 (and in general, he should maintain the tension), then 2...e6 forms the classical method of defense.  Black can solve the problem of his bad light-squared Bishop by threatening to develop it to b7 or e6. 

Here's an example:

blueemu

I've posted this one before, but it's worth another look. A very tense, cut-and-thrust game in which my opponent's final counter-attack, a wide turning movement all the way around my position, just fails to break through to my King.

heister

The names did not get entered correctly.  The game is Lipnitzky vs Smyslov in Moscow 1951. 

konhidras
Dude_3 wrote:

Im a gm. Analyse my games.

A grand "Kung Fu" master eh ?

heister
TheGreatOogieBoogie

Here's one from Capablanca I think you'd like:

Maybe late but congratz on Nakamura drawing Carlsen!  Normally I don't care for draws but some, especially those by Lasker, are worth looking at.  Just 3 examples off the top of my head come to mind (four now that I've clicked on a random Bird game):

The database won't show the Lasker-Napier game for some reason but here's a good one wth Nimzowitsch:

Never again will those who look at these games stereotype draws as dull!

heister

Yeah, Lasker is probably my second favorite player to study.  I really like Rubenstein's games :D.  I should probably do one of those next.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Yeah I like Rubenstein too.  Considering how narrowly Lasker avoided losing the title to Schlechter Rubsenstein probably would have won a match, but WW1 happened so they couldn't reasonably get a match going. 

I find it hard to believe that Rubenstein was the first to decide his openings based on the endgame just because it's so natural to do so (opening phases into a middlegame, which phases into a strategic endgame and finally into a theoretical endgame so there's a logical connect between opening and ending) and Chess is quite an old game.  He was still quite profficient in both areas however.