Forums

How did I screw up this attack???

Sort:
erikido23

I used to be a good attacker.  Now I just get into a winning position and somehow blow it.  Oh well.  Any insights are greatly appreciated

josh3

At move 18 I think your rook sacrifice was incorrect and I agree with you on move 16 that hxg3 was better but after you sacrificed your rook I think things just went down hill from there better was Qh7

josh3

Oh and by the way what was the time control?

erikido23

10 mins 

erikido23

ugg...yes very simple.  I just thought I was mating with the rook sack so didnt look any farther.  I was trying to make bxc4 work b4 I moved on interesting I ddin't even look at g2.  

Niqhtmarex

On move 18, you should have played Queen to h7. It's impossible to stop mate on h2 in a couple moves.

erikido23

haha...so sad.  Lets just say I was tired

Chris-de-Burger

You missed 20.... Qh3+ instead of Qh2, followed by 21.Kf3 Bg4 and g2 discovered check.

Wins easily.

vmsfinale
Niqhtmarex wrote:

On move 18, you should have played Queen to h7. It's impossible to stop mate on h2 in a couple moves.

dats not d final answer der r 2 mate threats Qh2 and Qh1.but then Bg2 by white.........

note that material is dead equal

AKAL1
[COMMENT DELETED]
blueemu

Even after the Rook sac, 20. ... Bg4 looks interesting.

Chris-de-Burger

21.fxg3 could be winning for white after 20...Bg4

blueemu
Chris-de-Burger wrote:

21.fxg3 could be winning for white after 20...Bg4

Mmmm... yeah. The error was earlier than that, then.

Chris-de-Burger

He missed his chance when he played 20.....Qh2+.

Qh3 wins quickly.

lenslens1

White was better for most of the game and should have been looking to open lines on the queenside to dull your impending attack. As such, white went astray with Qb3, instead e3 forces open lines in all variations and white is better in an exciting double edged game. As to your attack, I would have opened lines as early as possible with 15.. hxg3 with an easily won position. Won't give all the analysis, but white would not have been able to play 16. hxg3 because black mates quickly with 16.. Rh1+, 17. Bxh1 Qh7

Chris-de-Burger

Mark, h3 played a move earlier looks good, otherwise the king can block.

FancyKnight

18..g2 or Bh3 don't work well due to Nc5.

erikido23
lenslens1 wrote:

White was better for most of the game and should have been looking to open lines on the queenside to dull your impending attack. As such, white went astray with Qb3, instead e3 forces open lines in all variations and white is better in an exciting double edged game. As to your attack, I would have opened lines as early as possible with 15.. hxg3 with an easily won position. Won't give all the analysis, but white would not have been able to play 16. hxg3 because black mates quickly with 16.. Rh1+, 17. Bxh1 Qh7

after e3 be5 I don't really see where whites attack is.  I still have a lot of pieces coming at the white king....