Forums

Insight on a very close game vs someone ranked 200+ (Im black)

Sort:
IreptheWORLD

I lost this game in the endgame and reaalized that a knight is much better in a crowded endgame than a bishop. Any middle game, strategic, e,game ideas,etc. Would be much appreciated

Shakaali

The endgame turns difficult because of your passive bishop (almost all of your pawns are on the same color as the bishop) but I'm not sure if it's so easy for white to break through if you don't let his king into d5. After 38... Kd7? 39. Kd5 black is lost I think but you could try something else (say 38... Bd2).

Earlier, however, you could even hope for an advantage thanks to you active king.

Fugazy_Crapov

Move 17, white's rook was hanging.  White then defended the rook with Nd2 but you could still win the exchange with f5.

IreptheWORLD
Rise_Of_Nations wrote:

It was a good game, though both of you made a few mistakes in the middlegame. Your opponent played a very good endgame for his rating though.

And you made a very keen observation, most people are taught this, knights are better than bishops in closed games, whereas Bishops are better than knights in open positions.

Good Job.

Yes considering how the middle game was quite even, he played the endgame extremely well. Thank you

IreptheWORLD
Shakaali wrote:

The endgame turns difficult because of your passive bishop (almost all of your pawns are on the same color as the bishop) but I'm not sure if it's so easy for white to break through if you don't let his king into d5. After 38... Kd7? 39. Kd5 black is lost I think but you could try something else (say 38... Bd2).

Earlier, however, you could even hope for an advantage thanks to you active king.

ok Thank you

IreptheWORLD
Fugazy_Crapov wrote:

Move 17, white's rook was hanging.  White then defended the rook with Nd2 but you could still win the exchange with f5.

Wowwwww cant believe I missed that haha! I also think I lost by moving my knight on move 21 that was a pointless and positional weakening move. In my self analysis it made more sense for me to continue marching my kings side pawn than to do that. Thank you