Gashimov Memorial, Round 2 is LIVE and Open to ALL MEMBERS!Click here to watch!
Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

looking to improve my game and game analysis

• 23 months ago · Quote · #1

mattyf9

• 23 months ago · Quote · #2

silentiarius

I don't understand 4...d5. If you wanted to prevent e4 you should have done so at move 2. Against a Bf4, d6 with the idea to push e5 is a good plan.

8...Qa5+ prevents the doubled pawns.

The immediate 9...c5 (10.dxc5 Qa5) looks better.

11...c5 is no better (e7 hangs).

At move 17, White cannot protect both b2 and e3 (17.Qe2 Ng3). He was already lost. He should have played 16.Bxf6.

18...Ng3 wins material.

Don't criticise White's moves if you can't provide an improvement.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #3

mattyf9

Thanks for your help.  Although it's criticize not criticise lol.  And I am not taking shots at my opponent.  I make plenty of mistakes myself.  I am just simply comments on moves I thought were mistakes and how I capitlized on them.  However, thanks for your input.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #4

silentiarius

The point is: if you try to find an improvement you may find that there was in fact no better move, and you initial assessment of the position was wrong.

btw "Although it's criticize not criticise": in your part of the world, yes.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #5

ChazR

5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games by Laszlo Polgar.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #6

mattyf9

lol.  Fair enough silent. thanks again.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #7

Irontiger

2.f3 stinks. (2...d5 and one can wonder if White's best move, if playable, wouldn't be 3.f3-f2) I still think (against silentarius) that ...d5 later is correct, but only because White delayed e4.

9...Nh5 ? : even if you get the bishop pair, after e.g. 10.Bg3 Nxg3 11.hxg3, it's fairly useless, the position is much closed. On the opposite, the open h file and Black's weak pawns are real factors that favor White, although he has to get is knight in the play.

10...h6 and ...g5 was more consistant with the plan to trade the bishop. ...Qb6 ? is a mistake beause of Bxe7 ! which your opponent missed (the bishop defends the knight and if ...Qxb2 Qc1 or even Bxf8 and white has the upper hand.

18...a5 is too slow for that position. ...Ng3 (silentarius), ...Re8 or even Nxg5 had a concrete plan behind them (activating the rook via the e or f file).

19.Be7 is indeed bad, but white is lost anyway ; the best try is mabe Bh4, to follow by Qc1 (eerk).

22. whatever he does, White is lost, so no use saying 'haha, that's a blunder'.

27...Nd3+ forces Qxd3 or otherwise that's mate in 3 after Kb1.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #8

silentiarius

Irontiger wrote:
    [...]
    10...h6 and ...g5 was more consistant with the plan to trade the bishop. ...Qb6 ? is a mistake beause of Bxe7 ! which your opponent missed (the bishop defends the knight and if ...Qxb2 Qc1 or even Bxf8 and white has the upper hand.

10...h6, 11...g5 is pointless because the bishop can retreat to f2.

11.Bxe7 Re8, note that g2 hangs if you allow Qxb2.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #9

Irontiger

silentiarius wrote:

10...h6, 11...g5 is pointless because the bishop can retreat to f2.

11.Bxe7 Re8, note that g2 hangs if you allow Qxb2.

First comment : indeed, I overlooked it. In general the f2 square is occupied by a pawn, and I forgot the position for a while.

Second : I don't agree.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #10

silentiarius

Nonsense.  Either Bf5 or Rxe3, and White gets toasted. 11.Bxe7 is crap, trust me.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #11

ChazR

I will trust you if you promise to be gentle.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #12

nyLsel

Irontiger: the bishop defends a3. Qb1 is coming, with White's advantage (if ...Rb8 then Rb1 instead) A bishop trade on c5 (e.g. after ...Bf8 here) gives White the squares d4 and d6 for his knights, while the doubled pawns are not so easy to attack.

1.Bxe7 Re8 2.Bc5 Qxb2? loses to 3.Ne2!? then 4.Rb1 is coming so if ...Qxa2 Nc1 wins and the Queen is trapped.

• 22 months ago · Quote · #13

nyLsel

So, 2...Qxb2 was clearly not an option.

Post your reply: