Forums

Mainline_Novelty vs stubborn_d0nkey : WITH KIBITZERS!!

Sort:
stubborn_d0nkey

And that was the other one

bresando

d4 looks inferior to me. there's no reason to let black shatter the wonderful d4-e4 pawn centre, which can be built one move later in complete safety. By the way, the more i look at the position the more i think i would take the white pieces here.

stubborn_d0nkey

I'm wondering whether I should comment on what I think is better

Mainline_Novelty

Really sorry again for the delay guys...What bresando said makes sense, so I am gonna go with 6.Nc3.

helltank
bresando

why 8.exd5? 8.Nxd5 keeps the centre intact, threatens Nxc7+ and pressurized the f4 pawn.

stubborn_d0nkey

Bb4 seems like my best bet.

Btw. I'm probably glad d4 wasn't played, what to do after. 6.d4 Nxd5 7. exd5 Qxe5 8. Bxf4 would have probably given me a headache :P Seemingly too many options after that

bresando

You're right, i completely misevaluated 6.d4. 

stubborn_d0nkey

Completely is too harsh, they are probably pretty close.

I don't see a viable alternative to Bb4, and I just found a line I don't like in one of the four replies to it that I've been looking at.

Anyways, if nobody comes up with an alternative to Bb4 soon I'm going to play it

stubborn_d0nkey

6...Bb4

Ben_Dubuque

d4 looks like a good move

stubborn_d0nkey

That's one of the replies I considered for white

shepi13
stubborn_d0nkey

I don't know what your thought process was, but I think you overlooked a check like 12. Qe2+ in your mainline. 11. Qe2+ might also be better for white

Mainline_Novelty

I'm gonna wait for just a few other people's suggestions before I play.

Ben_Dubuque

Ne5 looks interesting lol

Ben_Dubuque

stupid but interesting

stubborn_d0nkey

You want to give me knight? I have no problem with that :)

d3 doesn't seem like a bad move at all, perhaps not the best but it's definitely quite solid

tarikhk
tarikhk

The more I look at this position, the more I see that black has the edge, if only miniscule. For the record, each move by white is followed by Bxc3.

d3- solid

d4- active

qe2-is bad i think- a tactical probe that fails. It prevents Nxd5 for one or two moves maybe, but after 0-0 black is fine. Black can even consider

This looks dangerous for white.

Bb3- this is also bad. Black will play 0-0, Re1 and win the e pawn with no threat to the f7 pawn. and lay claim to the e-file. Bg4 will add more pressure to the position.

In every line black has a miniscule edge.