Forums

My game agaist a 1814 fide rated guy at the tournament.

Sort:
thegeneral14
[COMMENT DELETED]
dimitrikd

very good game ;)

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Good game!  Here's my analysis:

Edit: The Qa5 seems like a good move but not was the OP's annotation not mine I was puzzled when I saw it and went, "Huh?  Why would I ever think that's bad?"  I checked his post and that's where it came from. 

Blackadder
Okay so, after some thought, I think that black has a very interesting pawn sac with  21.h6 ?!    

Below is some analysis, note that it is messy, and some of the sub-lines are actually mainlines, and some lines are meant to demonstrate the motifs and ideas rather than strictly focusing on best play.  None of it computer checked. 

But basically there are 3 possibilities:

1. the pawn sac is declined
2. its acepted
3. there is some inbetween move to be made, and then either (1) or (2).

I cant find a (3), so that leaves looking for a (1) or a (2). 

After some thought, I think white can decline the sac and get a find game. In which case, the question becomes "can white do better by taking the pawn". 

If the awnser is no, then I would say black ought to play h6 over f6, since it pushes the queen without making a number of positional concessions (e.g backward pawn, white squares, queen checks, etc).

if the awnser is yes, then clearly my thinking is muddled.  In any case, definitive awnsers come with computers, not human annotators. :) 

Long story short, to be honest, I found the game boring but this particular position very interesting, hence my entire post being all about it!

anyway, here is my analysis:

x-1338650111

Great game!!! You were good, friend.

Blackadder

^^ Turns out the computer does indeed find a way to refute the sac;

I underestimated white defensive abilities:

after Qg5 Qd4 c3 (I missed this) Qd3  and now the simple Re1 e6 Qe3 takes all the sting and the fun out of blacks position.

Still though, I turns out that a fair bit of the analysis is actually quite sound. (although Rd5 doesnt deserve double exclams, after whites g4 its simply equal...my bad).

Fear_The_Knight

Great efford!!!

thegeneral14

Thank you guys for the analysis and your comments. AppreciatedLaughing!

TheGreatOogieBoogie

I thought f6 looked a bit suspect at first but the computer didn't swing in its evaluation.  In this case it would be psychologically brilliant as it would force white to find a refutation that isn't there.  Though yeah all pawn moves are critical as they permanently change the nature of the position. 

My original criticism of the move was that it weakens g6 making h5 or h6 not viable for some time.  In the event of e5 the queen is on the second rank and could parry checks though looks a little too open for me. My plan from here as black would be to occupy a central square with the queen, keep the king away from checks, force a favorable queen trade if possible, improve little by little and advance pawns when I can.  Remember, the e-pawn is the critical potential passer. 

thegeneral14

Which was the best move for white instead of 10.exd5?

AKJett

10.ed is theory

Or_theBashaKiller
thegeneral14 wrote:

Which was the best move for white instead of 10.exd5?

10. exd5 is ok

11. Nxd5 Nxd5 ?!

better would be 11. Nxd5 Nxc6 12.Bd4 and the exchange sac of the rook in this line should be declined by white . you can watch the fighting dragon series on chess.com ... nice video series .

AKJett

I've played blitz in this variation before. black sacs a rook but eventually white has to give up his Q for a rook. Eventually a 2R v. Q eventually which according to some masters is =+, but White has the most practical chances.

I always forget the mainline and allow d5, so I have to study those things, u know.