Forums

my match against 1274

Sort:
karthik1109

karthik1109

guys please analyse this game for me I fought in this match to my best by I lost it .

I made blunder in my last move I played that move fast even though I had 9min and my opponent had 17min this was my last round in the tournament if I would have won it I would have got atleast 10th place in best unrated category.

Remellion

7. e4 taking central control. 7. e4 dxe4 8. Nxe4 Nxe4 9. Bxe4 Nf6 10. Bd3 and you have the bishop pair and kingside dreams, a slight advantage but maybe not enough to win.

10. c4 trying to contest the centre back was an option (your 10. Qe2 and Ne5 was also a plausible plan.) Notice how black has 2 central (d, e) pawns to your one after he played 7...c5 and exchanged? Now you can change the situation back, while trying to get the c-file for yourself.

15. dxe5 I'd definitely have preferred. When you're more or less committed to attacking kingside, it looks better to capture dxe5. After 15. fxe5 Be7, you have fewer pawn levers on the kingside and your b2-bishop is staring at the d4 and e5 pawns, unable to do much. After 15. dxe5 Be7 instead, you have the f5 lever (maybe Rf1, Qh5 and f5) and your bishop can be free after (for example only, not necessarily a good sequence) 16. f5 exf5 17. e6.

Why not 26. Rxg5 preventing 26...Qd1+. It also keeps options open for a typical Bxg6 sac later.

Why ever not 30. Qxf1. Just take the bishop! N+B is usually slightly better than R, you weren't down material.

32...Be2+ 33. Kf2 Qf1+ 34. Kg3 Qxf3+ 35. Qxf3 Bxf3 would have been better for black, rebalancing material while removing your queen from the attack. I still prefer white after 36. Be7 Bh5 as your bishop would be better placed, but it's not exactly a cakewalk to victory here.

If black wanted something fancy, 36...Qe1+ 37. Kxh3 (37. Rf2? Qg1+ 38. Kxh3 Qxf2) Rxf3+ 38. Qxf3 Qxd2 should be winning for black (maybe?) but it's a hard endgame after that.

Unless I'm missing something, 37. Qxg4 just takes the bishop. So does 37. Kxg4. What on earth happened there?