Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

My Very First Live Game - Who Wants to Analyze?


  • 17 months ago · Quote · #1

    defenserulz

    Hi everyone,

    Been learning the game and getting advice here from you good folks for the past 6 months or so and finally played my first live game today.  I normally play the computer only, but thought I'd venture into the live world of play.

    I played WHITE and we each had 10 minutes.  I wasn't used to the timed aspect at all and ended up using about 2 minutes on the third move alone (when BLACK deviated from what I'd seen/experienced before with this opening).  ...It was a sloppy game towards the end as I was running out of time, but would still love to see what people thought.  I lost, unfortunately, but still would be curious about crucial points in the match. 

    Still learning, so if anything looked very odd, please do forgive me!  Thanks very much guys and perhaps one day I'll be able to play you guys in a live match here too!
     
  • 17 months ago · Quote · #2

    Timothy_P

    3. Bb5+ wasted a move.

    Then rather nice until 23. Bxd6, which would have lost to Qxd6.

    24. Rxe7+ gives up a rook for free.

    25. Bxc6 gives a bishop away for a pawn.

    Trading material when losing is a bad idea, so 26. Bxe7 is not good and the rest you are pretty much lost.

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #3

    t_taylor

    24. f6 would have been nice.  then 24....Nxf6  25.Bxe7 then if he takes with Queen, you win Queen, if he moves Queen, you can take Knight and put him in check.   You really went bad fast after 24. Rxe7?

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #4

    t_taylor

    Another thing to remember is to try to exploit the opponent when you have a piece pinned, try to come out ahead, not even or in your case behind.  Don't give up on live, it's a lot of fun.  Maybe try 15 or 30 min games, so there is more think time

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #5

    Oraoradeki

    your problems started with 12. Nd5

    Black's 21. a6 indicates that he wants to take on d5, as played in the game. This is because even if you play 23. Rxd5, black can play 23...b5 and recover the piece. You should have played 22. dxc6 before Bf4.

    If you played 24. Rxd5, you win a knight for free. That was probably your last chance to recover (and win) the game.

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #6

    defenserulz

    t_taylor wrote:

    24. f6 would have been nice.  then 24....Nxf6  25.Bxe7 then if he takes with Queen, you win Queen, if he moves Queen, you can take Knight and put him in check.   You really went bad fast after 24. Rxe7?

    Yeah, time was running low around that time and I had to move relatively fast.  It's good to know that at least even at move 24 I was not dead in the water and had play available to me.  I do see what you're saying there. 

    Thanks for that comment. 

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #7

    defenserulz

    Timothy_P wrote:

    3. Bb5+ wasted a move.

    Then rather nice until 23. Bxd6, which would have lost to Qxd6.

    24. Rxe7+ gives up a rook for free.

    25. Bxc6 gives a bishop away for a pawn.

    Trading material when losing is a bad idea, so 26. Bxe7 is not good and the rest you are pretty much lost.

    Any suggestions for Move 3? 

    I was used to a different type of set-up/response from BLACK in my previous study of openings and computer play.  So, BLACK's Move 2 threw me off a little.  ....I realize I need to play dynamically and not by rote, so this is still a learning exp. for me. 

    Really?  I did OK until Move 23-ish?  That's not too terrible then.  I was nervous the whole game and inexperienced with the time aspect. 

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #8

    defenserulz

    Oraoradeki wrote:

    your problems started with 12. Nd5

     

    What was problem on Move 12? 

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #9

    t_taylor

    i think either 3. Nc3 or d4 would have been better.

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #10

    defenserulz

    Oraoradeki wrote:

     

    Black's 21. a6 indicates that he wants to take on d5, as played in the game. This is because even if you play 23. Rxd5, black can play 23...b5 and recover the piece. You should have played 22. dxc6 before Bf4.

    If you played 24. Rxd5, you win a knight for free. That was probably your last chance to recover (and win) the game.


    Hi,

    Still processing your comments.  But thank you in advance!!  Just a quick question, why did you say BLACK's 21. a6 move signaled that he wanted to take on D5?  What did his a6 pawn move have to do with that? 

    Thanks again!  Very helpful guys!

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #11

    defenserulz

    samog123 wrote:

    Your first game? Have u thought about checkers??? Lol


    No, I liked chess better.  That bad?  Cry

  • 17 months ago · Quote · #12

    defenserulz

    t_taylor wrote:

    Another thing to remember is to try to exploit the opponent when you have a piece pinned, try to come out ahead, not even or in your case behind.  Don't give up on live, it's a lot of fun.  Maybe try 15 or 30 min games, so there is more think time


    Thanks!  I plan to.  I feel the computer play wasn't as realistic for me anyways.  So, I plan to continue live and also play longer time intervals. 

    Thanks again, everyone!

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #13

    ruben72d

    samog123 wrote:

    Your first game? Have u thought about checkers??? Lol

    one with a rating of 1100 should not say that...

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #14

    LoekBergman

    That bad? On the contrary, you play very well. I am amazed by your play.

    22. ... Nd5: is a mistake from black. If you would have played 23 Rd5: you would have won the game. Play could continu like:

    22. ... Nd5:

    23. Rd5: b5 - otherwise will black just lose a knight.

    24. Bd6: Qd8

    25. Re7:+ Qe7:

    26. Be7:  cd6:

    27. f6     ba4:

    28. Qc3 and white has a winning position, first threat is Qc6 checkmate.

    or

    22. ... Nd5:

    23. Rd5: b5

    24. Bd6: Qc8

    25. Re7:+ Kd8 (25. ... Kf8 26. Qh6+ Rg7 27. Qh8+ Rg8 28. Re1 mate)

    26. Rd1  ba4:

    27. Bb4+ and black has to give his queen to prevent mate.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #15

    Tmb86

    It's a shame you forgot about the pin and didn't play 23.Rxd5, which as Loek says should win the game. You fell apart after that.

  • 16 months ago · Quote · #16

    LongIslandMark

    I would not be overly concerned about taking "too long" for one particular move in a ten minute game. If it's a critical juncture in the game it can be time well spent. It being the third move I would have concern over.

    I've seen this with some players at our level (at 1078 Live Standard I'm guessing you are not far from my 900's Blitz). I've often been perplexed on why there is a "big" delay a few moves into the game, even if one of us has played an unusual opening.

    At our level, it shouldn't really matter that much - being a few pawns down, or even a minor down, doesn't automatically translate into a loss - play on!


Back to Top

Post your reply: