Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Please help me analyze a wild game

• 23 months ago · Quote · #61

Scottrf

TonyH wrote:

because of what your doing right now?! he is challenging your ideas and his own forcing you to make a statement. how many people remain silent about their thoughts and dont have them challenged by anyone... 

I did finally look at the video and he does miss a few points. (some I pointed out in my analysis) 

ok so lets look at this and provide some valid feedback. What I DO LIKE about his videos is that he gives an insight into his thought process. at least he is THINKING about moves unlike most players at the u1500 level who just move to make some silly 1 move threats. 

the position is not a dragon since its still closed. dragon is a very specific reference to a particular opening in the OPEN siclian. 

h3 is kinda useless but n its not a horrible blunder but ok there are more useful moves and it shows a lack of a plan. and perhaps he can allow the pin to encourage kingside expansion etc.... anyway not important but your right dont be afraid of pins but respect them too. after g6 the pin is pretty easy to break so i might even encourage it. 

sure development is important but not  so much in a postition thats not open. Nd5 is premature and shows again a lack of a plan in a closed position

The funny part is Nd5 is also not a horrible losing move and black's best response might be to gain space with a6 , b5 etc maybe at some point e6 OR even Nh6 depending on what white does.

Again use the videos as a sounding board. I wish more of my students would do something like this since it allows me to see what they are thinking and guide it a bit more. (I am careful to not use things like always and never unless i KNOW thats the truth) 

Perhaps a good way for him to do this would be to create a video of a game he likes and post it i the forum, let people analyze it honestly then have a useful discussion and then refine the videos so they become more useful teaching tools.

You're basically saying the video is good for a student to make. That's not the point of it, he's trying to teach people. If you miss important concepts or give poor advice you're making the people watching the video a worse player.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #62

hankas

You guys certainly have too much time on your hands. Laughing

• 23 months ago · Quote · #63

TonyH

wow ok fancy words and more insults always work to further a conversation

Btw learn to spell student before you start acting high and mighty.
    The logic you fail to see is that there is a low correlation between a title-rating-skill at something and the ability to teach.  

So your trolling is done and all futher baiting attempts will be ignored

• 23 months ago · Quote · #64

Scottrf

TonyH wrote:

The logic you fail to see is that there is a low correlation between a title-rating-skill at something and the ability to teach.  

Maybe, but while a strong player may be not always be a very good teacher, they have the potential to be. A poor chess player doesn't even have the potential to be a good teacher.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #65

AnthonyCG

Scottrf wrote:
    TonyH wrote:

Maybe, but while a strong player may be not always be a very good teacher, they have the potential to be. A poor chess player doesn't even have the potential to be a good teacher.

This is completely untrue. The problem is that some players are so good at the game and are so used to advanced concepts being normal that they lack the ability to relate to those on a much lower level. It is possible to change this but it will take work.

A poor chess player while weak in some areas may have a far better time in teaching a concept than the out of touch master because the master may be completely unable to relate the ideas to the beginner. He will nag on and on but if the ideas go over the student's head then nothing has been taught.

Teaching an ability and learning one are two completely different concepts.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #66

Scottrf

AnthonyCG wrote:
    Scottrf wrote:
    TonyH wrote:

This is completely untrue. The problem is that some players are so good at the game and are so used to advanced concepts being normal that they lack the ability to relate to those on a much lower level. It is possible to change this but it will take work.

A poor chess player while weak in some areas may have a far better time in teaching a concept than the out of touch master because the master may be completely unable to relate the ideas to the beginner. He will nag on and on but if the ideas go over the student's head then nothing has been taught.

Teaching an ability and learning one are two completely different concepts.

It's not untrue. You can't teach something you don't understand.

Of course a poor chess player can teach easy concepts, but who needs a teacher for that?

Again, you use the superfluous 'not every good player is a good teacher', noone has argued that.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #67

waffllemaster

Whilte it's true not all titled players can teach well (maybe you can say most?).  The main problem IMO is knowing the skill it's absolutely a requirement for teaching that skill.  I don't know how you can argue that a beginner can teach more than, say, how the pieces move and the difference between a fork and a pin.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #68

waffllemaster

alexlaw wrote:

woah lol if i teach people for money i'd call myself a bad teacher.

things i tell people i teach (in order of importance)

1. material

2. development

3. finding a plan

4. stopping your opponent plans

This is good... and probably why I'd have problems teaching a complete beginner.  I'd want to start right off with "ok, the queen's worth 9 right? but not always, take a loot at this position where the knight is worth more than a rook"

Laughing

• 23 months ago · Quote · #69

waffllemaster

At least I know that would be wrong to start with :p

To me anyway, so much in the beginning is just getting the experience in to start noticing familiar moves / patterns.  I'd probably tell them something along the lines of, go make an account at chess.com and play at least ____# of games a week.  Also take this book of master games and play over at least ___# and when we meet again we'll go over your games / questions.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #70

zborg

joeydvivre wrote:

Take ChristianSoldier who thinks he is a master of the closed Lopez.   And now a 1200 player says he is the master of the closed Lopez?  Huh?  

I watched part of that video also.  What a tool.  That kid probably sits there with a copy of MCO in his lap when he plays G/15 online, and he (apparently) sells his crap analysis to others "tools" via You Tube.

All his antics prove is that gullible people love to have their face (or voice) on TV (or You Tube).  Some people still watch info-mercials and make 3 easy payments of $19.95. Free shipping included, of course.  Smile

He is a well-spoken zealot.  But his chess instruction leaves much to be desired. But some folks are just too lazy to buy a decent chess book and get to work on it.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #71

waffllemaster

[edit]  I didn't watch long enough to hear him say any thing wrong, so I can't complain :)

• 23 months ago · Quote · #72

zborg

The video was lame.  The insinuation that he was selling his advice was simply a joke.  Whatever.

@Joey, you are a true contrarian.  Go get em'.

• 23 months ago · Quote · #73

benonidoni

Whats the question?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #74

zborg

benonidoni wrote:

Whats the question?

Who's the answer?

• 23 months ago · Quote · #75

AndyClifton

TonyH wrote: