Forums

Read This Before You Post

Sort:
IKnewHowToPlay
Jacob_Klein22 wrote:

I played this game against an FM titled player and to be honest i think i held my own quite well. I am just curious if there are some things i missed in my analyisis or any tips in general. Thanks much.

Hello Jacob,

Your misgivings about 5) d3 are well placed, but normally in this openning d4 has already been played by white. Placing more pressure on Black's position and giving you more space to manuver.

Back to your game after d3 your opponent took advantage of you caution by playing d5 seizing the opportunity space and control in the center of the board.

I think exchanging pawns on move 6 was best play under the circumstances. It black more chances to mess up. It opened up his king position enough to make him quickly defend his king against checks and castling.

The next move I would like to call into question is move 10) Qd2 I realize that black just pinned your knight against your queen but there is no need to panic. Look at the entire board and see what are the strongest threats. Obviously you felt a threat against your queen. So you did realize that the Knight on c3 could move to d4 or e5 causing trouble. But did you not realize that when the Knight moved from c3 that your white bishop could be trapped with certainty. Making taking the Knight on c3 the best move on the board. Without the Knight black would have no timely or easy way to take advantage of the pin. I believe your oppenent did not realize the pardicament you white bishop was in or might have played differently. At your rating I would have missed that one too. It wasn't till I was about a 1400 rated player that I became coniously aware of those kinds of threats.

Your opponent played 10) ... Bxf3 This was your best opportunity to complicate maters so much that it worked in your favour. By playing 11)_BxNc6 because most us  don't think like computers. Having to calculate if 11) BxPg2 Bxb7 12) BxRf1 BxRa8  13) BxPd3 Bxc2 14) BxNf6 Bxf6 15) BxPd5 BxNc3 16) Bxf7+ Rxf7 17) QxB is in there favour or not or perhaps they miscalculated somewhere along the line. But that may seem too dangerous to you too.

You did play 11) PxBf3 your opponent 11) ... N-d4 attacing the f3 and c2 pawns the queen protets the c2 pawn and instead of blundering with 12) Ra-e1 (and we all seem to blunder) you played 12) Kg2. You might get a chance to regroup your pieces before he realizes his advantage.

Your cooment about using the Bishop to recaptue the Knight is spot on.

On move 15) I would complicate things for black hoping for a blunder on his part. This kinds of things you do when behind. Specifically 15)_RxBe7 Thinking he will play the natural QxRe7 then You could play 16)_NxPd5 Threatening the Queen and trying keep attendtion on the queen he might play 16)... Qe5 Then 17) BxNf6 Queen Check and without things plays 17)...Qxnd5 since 17)... Qxbf6 would be met by 18) NxQf6+ Thus allowing 18) RxPg7+ with mate to follow!! All that does assume mistakes on Black's part, but I think a lot better chances than 15) BxBf6.

Sincerely,     IKnewHowToPlay

P.S. I hope I was appropriately respectful.

trebejos

How do I analyze a game of mine and post it using that nice blue and white diagram that I see above?   What program is this?   Somebody had told me about a program somd months ago but I forgot.  Is there more than one?  Which one do people recommend?   Thanks!   

trebejos

How do I analyze a game of mine and post it using that nice blue and white diagram that I see above?   What program is this?   Somebody had told me about a program somd months ago but I forgot.  Is there more than one?  Which one do people recommend?   Thanks!   

notatrollreally

jajajajajajajaajjajajajaja.... NOT A TROLL - Vatican City Representative

stevenhan77

Yes I am one of those people who can lose and feel amazing.... Now I know what I need to work on!! But the games I won have alot of mistakes in which I could have played better.

njeznisport
[COMMENT DELETED]
TheAmpBot

Hi, I am new to this site, can someone please walk me through how to post a game? I know I have to click on the chessboard in the top left of my message but what after that?

JoeyKTrombone

"Anaxagoras wrote:

The purpose of this forum is improvement at chess!  We can all improve at chess when we share meaningful questions and examples from our past losses, draws, and a few of our wins.  In order to get the most out of posting your game at the analysis forum, follow these guidelines:

1.  Annotate your game yourself before you post!  By annotate we mean the addition of your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations.  In order to receive accurate feedback, we must know what you were thinking as you played the game, and what you think of it now.  It often happens that a right move was made for the wrong reason: knowing your thought process is the only way to bring this to light!

2.  Post a lot games that you lost, a few that were draws, and on occasion those that you won.  While it is more fun to gloat over our wins than suffer under our losses, we learn the most when we review our losses.  If you really want to post a game where you crushed your opponent, consider the game showcase forum.

3.  Don't look at a chess engine for analysis until after you have analyzed the game with others at chess.com; the same goes for those reviewing.  If you are adding analysis found with the aid of a chess engine, make it known.

I agree, but at the same time, disagree with this assessment.  Yes, I agree that annotating a game is quite helpful, and it is, therefore, one of my favorite things to do.  It's part of deep analysis which WGM Natalia Pogonina emphasizes in her game analysis thread.  However, I don't think it has to be done to be done before you post.  In general, it usually is, but what if you can't remember what was played.  There are games that I post, without an annotation because I don't remember how it was played, so in that case, it's about what happened and what can be learned.  In short, just the overall morals based on what I've learned.  Sometimes, it is good to post games that you have won or have gotten a swindle, won or drawn in hopelessly lost positions.  But, for the most part, I agree because when you think about a loss, you're focusing more on where you went wrong.  I mean, you can do that with swindles, as well, but when you lost you focus on what mistakes led to that loss, so that, history does not repeat itself.  However, I completely agree with the third line he gives because what he says is also known as the post game analysis, and it is known to make mistakes.  While it's usually correct, you can't rely on it because, sometimes, it says that you didn't make a single inaccuracy.  But, when you analyze it more carefully, as a spectator, you see that you've made at least one major blunder.  Yes, these are things that I have remembered to become a better player.

LogoCzar

Hello, I would like anylisis on my game

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/states-final-round-please-analyze

JoeyKTrombone

@logozar: I wish I could give advice, but the problem is that you're rating is about 200 points north of my rating.  But, that was a very good annotation.  In fact, it was better then most annotation that I've seen. Wink

JoeyKTrombone

I agree with CaidenGlaonier.

ChessOptimist

Hi guys! I just want to get feedbacks, improvements or even correction in one of my analysis- http://learnchessbychessoptimist.blogspot.com/2013/02/normal-0-false-false-false.html

Thanks in advance!

Mal_Smith

ChessOptimist - this thread is not for posting games or links, it is for telling people how to post games.

I suggest you start a new forum posting here.

Also, why don't you have an active board in your blog? No ones going to plow through all that algebraic notation and play it out on a board, unless you are Kasparov.

You might put an active board in your posting here, and link to your blog, if the admins are OK with that.

ChessOptimist

Oh, sorry i didn't know. Do i need to delete my last post? I also don't know how to post an active board. Hope you could help me with that :)

Mal_Smith
ChessOptimist wrote:

Oh, sorry i didn't know. Do i need to delete my last post? I also don't know how to post an active board. Hope you could help me with that :)

No need to delete your last post.

To create a new post with an active board: click "Post New Forum Topic" - the large green button at the top right. The usual "Post" box will come up. Beside the usual word processing icons (B, I, etc.) at the far left you will see a small chess board icon. Click on that and create your active board!

Your blog post does look interesting and I'll certainly go through the game you show on an active board. Might start a trend of coaches analysing student games, which would be appreciated by all I'm sure!

The_Ghostess_Lola

ChessOptimist

Hi banim, one good way i know of is if an expert or someone with greater insight in chess would help analyze your own games and give the important details that shows you what really happened in that particular game you played, what principles you used or misused, what area you have to develop, what are your strengths and weaknesses basing on that particular game you played, and a summary of all the lessons learned from that game. Which means, the best way for you to improve your own thinking is if someone who has more experience than you help improve your thinking processes by fully analyzing your own games.  I do this with my students and they only have positive comments about it and how it helps them understand more their own thinking processes which helps them improve.

ChessOptimist

An thanks, Mr. Mal_Smith!  That is really very helpful of you :)

ChessOptimist

I actually read it, twighead but haven't applied it yet ( concerning active board ). I'm willing though to be a part of those coaches analyzing students' games, but only in a limited sense, i must admit as coaching chess online is one of my career. 

Kevinum
anaxagoras wrote:

Welcome to the Game Analysis forum

The purpose of this forum is improvement at chess!  We can all improve at chess when we share meaningful questions and examples from our past losses, draws, and a few of our wins.  In order to get the most out of posting your game at the analysis forum, follow these guidelines:

1.  Annotate your game yourself before you post!  By annotate we mean the addition of your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations.  In order to receive accurate feedback, we must know what you were thinking as you played the game, and what you think of it now.  It often happens that a right move was made for the wrong reason: knowing your thought process is the only way to bring this to light!

2.  Post a lot games that you lost, a few that were draws, and on occasion those that you won.  While it is more fun to gloat over our wins than suffer under our losses, we learn the most when we review our losses.  If you really want to post a game where you crushed your opponent, consider the game showcase forum.

3.  Don't look at a chess engine for analysis until after you have analyzed the game with others at chess.com; the same goes for those reviewing.  If you are adding analysis found with the aid of a chess engine, make it known.

4.  In addition to your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations, here are some of the most common symbols for annotating a chess game:

!!    An extremely strong move, often game winning.

!     A great move

!?    A speculative move, possibly strong but more analysis is needed.

?!    A dubious move, prossibly weak but more analysis is needed. 

?     A bad move

??    A blunder, equivalent to hanging a piece.

+-   White is winning.

+/- White has a significant edge.

+/= White has a small edge.

=     Equality.

=/+  Black has a small edge.

-/+  Black has a significant edge.

-+    Black is winning.

5.  Never post a game or a position from a game that is ongoing.  Asking for help with ongoing games is unsportsmanlike and unethical.  Need we say more?

Highly... boring. I'm sure nobody knew that. Tongue Out

This forum topic has been locked