Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

There had to have been a mate somewhere...


  • 21 months ago · Quote · #1

    Eats_Mice

    I would like some help in analyzing where i went wrong with this game. I was trying to find a mate somewhere, so I just kept putting my opponent in check. After awhile, I couldn't find it, and ended up losing. Does somebody see one somwhere?

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #2

    verybadbishop

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #3

    doctorjimmy

    Forced checkmate is really hard to come by in the middlegame. I don't see a checkmate after 3...Ke7, but I do see ways to win material and attain a comfortable position, (verybadbishop posted the best continuation) which is all you usually need to win anyway. I rarely get stylish checkmates involving sacrifices, 'cause I don't sacifice pieces unless I know for sure it's worth it.

    I was analyzing your game, and noticed after way too long that you could have swapped his queen for your rook many times, but you instead tried to go directly for checkmate. Case in point.



  • 21 months ago · Quote · #4

    yeres30

    After 8....Kb5 the best chance of a mate is 9.Bd3+ (instead of 9.a4+)



  • 21 months ago · Quote · #5

    kco

    yere30 after 1.Bd3+ Qxd3 is best for black, black can last longer. 

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #6

    yeres30

    kco, you are indeed correct in saying that "Black can last longer".

    But you are wrong, kco, because the premise of this thread is-----

    "There had to have been a mate somewhere..."

    Unless you can show that 1...Qxd3 does not lead to a mate.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #7

    kco

    yes it does, plug in your computer and you'll see. 

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #8

    yeres30

    kco wrote: yes it does, plug in your computer and you'll see. 

    The premise of this thread is "There had to have been a mate somewhere..."

    So there is a mate shown in your computer after 1....Qxd3.  That's good, kco.That's splendid.

    But do show us the mate after 1....Qxd3.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #9

    eddysallin

    kco wrote:

    yes it does, plug in your computer and you'll see. 

    if u need tech. for chess help.....u learn little.(Bicarbonatofsoda position), re1+,kd7,rxb+,kc8,rxq+,rxr.qxap+,rb7, pc6

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #10

    doctorjimmy

    ......Guys, the point I think he's making is that winning the opponent's queen leads to checkmate, but It takes many moves to do so, as is usually the case when you go up material. Thus, you need a computer to find the very fastest checkmate.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #11

    Math0t

    Computer analysis indeed shows mate at some points. But at an earlier stage some, easy to find, good moves where missed which would have lead to a win without the need to find a (more difficult to find) mate.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #12

    Math0t

    I think more important is to understand that 4.Rfe1+ simply wins, whether you manage to calculate the mate at that point or not.

    And earlier 3.Bxg6 is the natural move, attacking both f7 and Bd5.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #13

    royalbishop

    i can relate to this player. He feels like mate is near and smells blood. Love the feeling of winning by mate.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #14

    kco

    Math0t wrote:

    I think more important is to understand that 4.Rfe1+ simply wins, whether you manage to calculate the mate at that point or not.

    And earlier 3.Bxg6 is the natural move, attacking both f7 and Bd5.

    +1

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #15

    zborg

    mod: please watch your language

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #16

    verybadbishop

    If the moves that lead to mate exceed the moves that lead to resignation, which is more efficient?  I suspect the purists will still say forced mate lines because that is something that is directly in their control (resignation is your opponent's choice), but I may be a low level dude because of my more relaxed position on the matter.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #17

    zborg

    Bicarbonatofsoda wrote:

    Oh dear!  I'm sorry I crashed this party!

    Chess players are an eccentric lot.  Not unlike people who take their pets to compete in Cat Shows.

    Thanks for "the final solution," @Bicarb.

    Great Avatar, as well.  Laughing

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #18

    zborg

    So do I, Apple-Headed Blue Point Siamese Cats, make wonderful companions.

    The OP apparently hunts mice, as well.  Small world. 

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #19

    Eats_Mice

    zborg wrote:

    Another case of the moronic quest for cheap mating thrills causing you to pass over MANY winning lines.

    Great thinking Brainiac.  One and half pawns is a Winning Advantage.  All you need is to convert it.  Instead, you pass up multiple chances for a 5 or 10 point advantage, because you wanted a flashy mate?

    And you brag about it in the forums? That's another reason why your rating in the cellar.  What a numb-nuts you are.

    Sorry but, was this directed at me?

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #20

    royalbishop

    Do not worry about that at all.


Back to Top

Post your reply: