Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
DrSpudnik
Yereslov wrote:
DrSpudnik wrote:

Move 2 looked like a weakie IMO.

You mean the Phillidor Defense? Yes, it's well regarded as a weak defense, but, when you're playing against players who depend on opening theory for a good game, it's very effective.

Philidor's reversed? 1. e4 e5 2. d3? is a great way to throw away the initiative and twiddle pieces around pointlessly. sad.

Yereslov

Black is already losing the initiative by replying to white's choices. 

I didn't play it because I considered it a good move, I played it because no one studies it, and because the typical Two Knights Defense was starting to get too boring.

EliasAStern

my first tournament. posted this in the forum but didnt get any response. let me know if you have any advice. thanks!

PortlandPatzer

Not much to say on the games but I completely forgot about our chess club here. Ususally I play at Coffee Time and PCH.

If you want to play some games against other players in and from Portland here, search for the group: Portland, Oregon. We would love to have you there.

Nice playing though in the rounds. You seem to have a good understnding of tactics and positional play. I might suggest focusing on those two areas as I did not get to see any endgame play in your games (though it never hurts to continue to practice in those areas).

Best of luck in further games.

Yereslov
EliasAStern wrote:

my first tournament. posted this in the forum but didnt get any response. let me know if you have any advice. thanks!

You shouldn't post four games all in one post. It's too confusing and too hard to organize.

MSC157

I played white, 10|5, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOijcEDPbI

Yereslov
MSC157 wrote:

I played white, 10|5, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOijcEDPbI

Why is your rating 2180 here and 1500 in real life?

DrSpudnik

Real life ain't all it's cracked up to be.

MSC157

No, I have no rating yet. And the game is result of 3-4 hours of sleeping. Total crap! :D

Yereslov
Vyomo

Yereslov's analysis is really good, but I would like to suggest alternatives to the mistakes made. 

18 Bb5? is a mistake. Looking at the position, it is clear that the Black bishop on g7 holds the kingside together and that the knight on d4 is far more effective than the knight on e2, so why not trade?

Also, in the endgame, Rg5? is a mistake by black, Rf3! wins 

MSC157

Thanks for analysis. I continued the play because black is short on time, as you can see on the video. @Vyomo, "red line" is very interesting, I totally missed 24.Rc7, that's the reason I didn't play RxQ.
47...Rc3+?? was actually Rc2, but black dropped the piece on c3 and then quickly moved it again to c2. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOijcEDPbI
It is marked in the comment of the video! ;) 

PortlandPatzer

Vyomo makes some very valid points in his analysis. These type of positions are exactly why I try to stay away from the Grunfeld systems if possible. My attacking game is far lower than my positional game but I always appreciate watching people play the opening on both sides of the board.

My only win with the Grunfeld came about 10 months ago in a thematic tournament where I played 4. Bg5 (Taimanov Variation) and I was blown away at how much attacking was able to be done. i barely got out of the game with a win but yeah, great match regardless Miha. Keep it up.

MSC157

Tnx, I will, the next game will come on Friday (or maybe Saturday) :)

Yereslov

This is a terrible game on my part.

This game is funny. It was meant to be a twenty minute game, but I only played five minutes of that time format. My opponent only had a few seconds.

PortlandPatzer
Yereslov wrote:

This is a terrible game on my part.

This game is funny. It was meant to be a twenty minute game, but I only played five minutes of that time format. My opponent only had a few seconds.

18... e4 places White in a position similar to a Neo-Grunfeld position. 6. c5?! is dubious as in this line, Black not only has no worries of cxd5 giving White a big center, but allows the eventual ...e5 move, weakening d4 permanently. This Black move was typically played by Kasparov with the Black pieces to good success. However against Deep Fritz in the man vx. machine tournament, Kasparov played c5 as White even though in preparation the programmers had entered all his annotated games. About 15 moves later, he plays Kh1 after 0-0 and causes the computer to analyze the position for 30 minutes, with the game eventually ending in a draw.

For an idea of play occuring with the e4 push as black, look back several pages at the game between ZekesGhost and Vengence69 which was a winning position for Black and see how the board looked after Black plays e4. All of Whites pieces are bogged down with no counterplay activities (disregard everything following about move 20 forward).

blowerd

It would be good if someone can analyise this for me.  Fairly detailed commentry is given in the game. BTW I am black in this game hence I have flipped the board over. 

ithothothoi

Please rate my game, I think it was a good attacking display with a couple of sax, but also plenty to improve on. 

After analysis turns out most of my moves where blunders and untill his last move of Kg3 i was defo losing

nswwsn

This is a game I should have lost but my opponent made severe blunders at the end. I was wondering if this was do to some unsound moves in the opening or if those moves were in fact ok but I was just out played the rest of the game. Please comment with general advice.

Bill_C

Some additional information on the game for you nswwsn:

GG