Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
67jedichessmaster

Move 21...Qe2 would have led to mate also...i hate missing the simple things !

adude23

Remember, there's a knight protecting that square...

MaverickM

67JediChessMaster is right when he says higher rated players often play with lower rated players quite negligibly ignoring many of the basic principles of chess. Sometimes they are also experimenting some new stuff but many times they are simply careless.

But the thing to realize is that lower rated players are more cautious especially when they are playing with higher rated players and they might have prepared some lines very meticulously. So they should be taken as seriously as any other similar rated player.

GIex

Or as any other player at all Laughing

Thaddeus_Samson

67JediChessMaster:

16... Qe1#

21... e5 22. Qd7+ Rxd7 23. cxd4 Qe1+ 24. Kd3 e4#

Thaddeus_Samson

nmcbride:

11. Nxf6+ Nxf6 12. Qxd6 Nxc4 13. Qd4

ScienceSquares

Reposted from my blog. This is from the 4th round of the LICC May Open (Long Island Chess Club)

Thaddeus_Samson

Devin Camenares:

40. Qe6+ Rf7 41. Qc8+ Rf8 42. Rh8+ Kxh8 43. Qxf8#

43. Qd5+ Rf7 44. Rb6 Kh8 45. Qxf7 Nf4 46. gxf4 Kh7 47. Qh5+ Kg8 48. Rb8#

47. h5 Nf4 48. gxf4 exf4 49. Qg6#

GIex

nmcbride: nice game, you had a good plan and executed it very well Laughing

DevinCamenares: very well strategically planned and played. I liked the opening too Laughing

MaverickM

nmcbride: Great game. I remember after watching Fischer games, I started playing KG too and had good win percentages with it until one of my opponent struck Bc5 to prevent my king from castling. And I lost lot of material trying to find a way for my king to castle.

That is the move I think that diverts your attention from carrying on with your plan of attacking opponent's king to finding ways to castle white king to safety.

Keep posting such games, they are quite helpful for beginnners and intermediate players as well.

Chesserroo2
67jedichessmaster wrote:

Oops. This advice is for Black, so though some of it is for White.

7. ... Na6 is playble.
Bd6 attacking the queen again is nice if you can.
9. Nxd4 threatens c2
10. ... Retreat your g bishop. h5 looks nice.
11. Now queen and bishop are both threatened.
12. White can win a piece now with 12. Bxa5 Nxg3 12. fxg3, and you can trade bishop for bishop or retreat your bishop. Bxh2 may be a way to get a pawn for your lost knight.
13. Good move! I actually thought Rf8, which would have been a blunder of mine.
14. White should play Nf3, prepairing to block the discovered check. I did not anticipate the discovered check, but I would have played Nf3 anyway just to develop. White needs to preserve castling when under attack like this.

14. Rc1??
15. c3 would have been my natural response, though I did not see the checkmate coming. c3 allows Nxc1, but still holds hope for castling.
16. I would have played Qe1 with the intent of forking the king and bishop. Mate would have been an accident. However, I see Qa1 also skewers the bishop.
19. I don't know what else White can do here, besides Qh5 in hopes of Qd1 and Nf3. Regardless, White is a rook down, so trading to develop is a wash.
21. ... Nc2+ is very strong. Also interesting is Qd1, threatening Qd2#. Qc2 and Qd3 fail to Nf5+, Qxf5, Qd2#. However, Nf3 loses only a rook. So your move is better against a careful player.

Chesserroo2
nmcbride wrote:

Below is my first attempt at a King's Gambit. I was playing a much higher rated player, but I knew the odds were in my favor as long as I played good moves. So, I spent a little more time asking myself questions after both of us moved. After he moved, questions like, "What is this doing? What is this attacking? What squares is he giving me?" After I moved, questions like, "Where are his dangerous attacks? Where are his possible checks?" Using just that information, and watching a couple of Bobby Fischer's KG games last week, led to what you are about to see. Also, if anyone sees a better attacking line (around move 12), please let me know. (I did not annotate the ending, as it's pretty self explanatory.)

just click on 1. e4. Not sure why I have it starting here...

3. Every annotated game I've read said that once you give a gambit, you should go with it and not try to get a pawn back right away. As for the accepter guarding it, I don't know. I've seen it back fire.
Why not 5. d4? attacks bishop. Granted, d3 guards your bishop and e4.
5. ... Now d4 is controlled by Black.
6. Ne7 attacks d5.
8. Nice, though you are just getting back your pawn.
9. That is a good fork. No need to appologize. How is d5 weakened? Only c4 is, and the knight is pinned.
11. Taking the knight with the bishop was bad. If you wanted it, you should have taken it with your knight, then been ready to play Nd3 after cxd4, or Bxe5 after fxe5. Usually when something is under attack (like your d5 knight) it is best to move it unless there is a good reason for an intermediate move.
13. And material is even again, though you are more developed. But why Nh6? I would have gone with Nf6. The bishop must be moved off the a8 diagonal.
15. I would have castled here.
16. Qxg7 is an option here. Nd6+ looks good too. Oh, you have Nxh8 coming. Good move, that Qe5-e7
19. Normally Bxb7 fails to Rb8. But since Rxh8, this may be a good idea now.
28. Kg6?
31. ... Nxd1 32. Rxa2 Nc3 33. Rxa7 Nxe5. yeah, not the best for Black.
33. Nc4
34. My first response was Ng4, heading for f6 and e8.

GIex

The KG is not one of my favorite openings as White, because Black has many options to equalize. So although I'm familiar with some of its variations, I don't play it often. But when today I started a game and saw I was White, I decided to give the KG a try Laughing Here's how the game went:

tomeothanh

MaverickM

Good Game Glex. The best part I like about KG is white gets its rook on semi open F file immediately after castling on king side.

If white has got its light square bishop along the same diagonal as black king, combination of rook and bishop can be devastating.

But its a dangerous opening as it can lead to immediate attacks on white king side which if not prevented can bring distaster to white's position or it can at least lose some material.

MaverickM

Cool Caro Kann devastation by tomeothanh :)

NefariousB

This is from my first game that I've played on chess.com, very new player so I would love a critique on how I handled the opening. The opponent DCed after I castled. My rating was NA and my opponent was somewhere around 1150

Chesserroo2

NefariousB,

3 Nc3 is developing but not threatening. I usually avoid openings like that, as they seem drawish.

The flank pawn moves are not necessary, unless you plan to make an attack that depends on your knight being able to move. Otherwise just develop faster than your opponent. There are other ways to attack once you are developed, and the flank pawn moves may actually weaken a position rather than strengthen it. Note: the g6 square is weakened. If Black castles king side, the f pawn is pinned. Now anything can land on g6 because the h pawn has moved.

6. d4 is more interesting. Now Black can play Nd4.
7. Correct, guarding c5. But notice how your pawn moved twice.
10. I would have castled first. Leaving the g2 pawn unguarded looks risky. Black could sacrifice a knight to open your castle, but could do little more, and you'd win with the extra material.
11. I would have played Nd5, sending the queen home.
12. I don't see any real attacks here. It is annoying the Black will trade a back rank bishop for a developed knight, and you will need a move to recapture, but at least you will have the bishop pair. Castling is a conservative move. f4 is playable with d6 blocking in Blacks darks square bishop. You will want to open lines to attack the uncastled king.

Flangribaz

Allright, here goes. 

Flangribaz

And this is another one that I recently played.  I played both games in a rated, OTB tournament a couple weeks ago.