Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
NachtWulf

@checkmyproduct: Nice game. By the way, here's a more forcing way to win at move 15.

Gump647

I played this one on Chess.com   Do what I did, if you can, and earn yourself a free queen :) I was very proud of this move sequence.

GIex

White could have lost less material and could have avoided creating some of the positional weaknesses. They had a better first reply. Anyway, in this variation Black comes out much better too.

the_cheradenine

I just had a nice attacking game today which was thematic with respect to the concept of poisoned pawns and it shows precisely why one should not be greedy and how it can be exploited.

There were many forced lines (played and unplayed) - and I've posted the complete annotations here: http://blog.chess.com/the_cheradenine/poisoned-pawns

We played the French game.

DA28

Well, here's my first post on the site! I've just been lurking on these forums for the past six months or so ;). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Gump647

Well, I got a pretty good training session for my endgame, which I could always use a bit of brushing up on, so here ya go!

Gorpo

This thread is very useful, as it's easy to quickly pick up on many posted games' ideas and general reasoning. As a player who never really tried to improve but is recently more focused, I would like assistance in the following game:

So, what were the broader mistakes I committed here? Was the position still salvageable by move 28 or I was already hopeless? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just by looking at the diagram, I noticed I missed 14. Nxd4. Oh well.

StrategicusRex

Well, today wasn't too good chesswise for me.  I simply butchered two Bird Stonewalls, managed to win a Modern Defense turned King's Indian Defense, and showed a streak of stubborness in a French Defense game after I played terribly for the entire first half.

First game.  There isn't much good to be said about this game.  I've gotten into situations like this quite a few times before, but (as per my human nature), I still misevaluate the board sometimes.  This was just "one o' those games".

Second game.  I get my wings clipped yet again as I overextend myself on the queenside and end up getting pummeled for it!

Third game.  I was hoping to play a Hippo or at least some form of the Modern Defense in this game, but it ended up turning into a King's Indian Defense, a defense of which I know next to nothing.  I managed to win in the end, although I think that he certainly had the better of the game at some points.

Fourth and final game.  This game is one of the luckiest comebacks I have ever performed.  I absolutely butchered this French Defense and eventually found myself standing to lose my dark-squared bishop for nothing.  However, instead of immediately resigning instead of playing a long, hopeless, piece-down game, I decided to do the unexpected and see if it could confuse my opponent enough to give me a real chance at turning things around.  In chess, imagination can be greatly rewarded...even if it's idiotic imagination.

StrategicusRex

My thought's on Gorpo's game against the HARD computer.  I'd appreciate it if somebody could compare my commentary with a strong chess engine's readings and evaluations.

Gorpo
theweaponking wrote:

My thought's on Gorpo's game against the HARD computer.  I'd appreciate it if somebody could compare my commentary with a strong chess engine's readings and evaluations.

I appreciate your input, weaponking. It was very helpful.

NachtWulf

Wow. I just spent an hour annotating the Gorpo v. Computer game, and it's all gone. I'll try again.

NachtWulf
Gorpo
NachtWulf wrote:

Thanks very much for your effort in annotating the game with your own conclusions and alternatives. It seems what I called "solid play" is actually "passive play". I'll work on that.

StrategicusRex

Hey NachtWulf, to avoid having your posts time out in the future and delete all that you've written, simply select the entire comment (games and all) with Ctrl+A and then hit Ctrl+C to copy it.  Then, refresh the page and simply use Ctrl+V to paste the comment anew.  It will restore everything, including the inserted games (and any settings thereof that you changed).

StrategicusRex

Also, NachtWulf, perhaps you'd like to try annotating some of the games I posted above Gorpo's game.  And I think we'd both benefit from you crossexamining my own analysis of Gorpo's game.

NachtWulf

@Gorpo: Solid play is fine. However, when an opponent leaves weaknesses in the position (such as the loss of tempo via queen, and vulnerable placement of knight), exploiting them helps win the game. Then again, I personally prefer dynamic play when possible, so my opinion is biased.

@theweaponking: Thanks, I'll try that comment-saving tip in the future. I think my annotations included my opinion on most of the points you mentioned, such as bishop placement in the opening. I wasn't all too sure about the exchange of knight for bishop, since it required getting two wing pawns, but my endgame play isn't great, to say the least.

learnateverygame

A game I have played against one of the GMs in chess.com, I think you guys know this guy, because he had a monster bullet rating, and very good play from him :)

can you find the move the GM played to finish me off ? ;)

StrategicPlay

Not much higher ratings on both sides, but I was proud of it. Laughing

learnateverygame

A bullet game I played against one of the most popular people here in chess.com

He's an FM, and plays really well, 1st time playing, and what did I get ? Black ;)

that means I can use the alekhine :)

if you want to comment, go ahead. I am posting this for fun :)
learnateverygame

@ strategic : can't you won material with 6. e5 ? you got a piece for the pawn, in which you already winning ! 

nice job on spotting the mate, eventhough you didn't mate him when he play b6.

Both sides made huge blunders (hanging pieces etc), but in the end, the right person wins. Good job.