Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Which is better: 10....0-0 or 10...h6

• 14 months ago · Quote · #21

scottault

dashkee94 wrote:

Yereslov

Yeah, I don't think 8....g6 will win TN of the year, but I'm not posting on the position until I hear that this is not an on-going game.

I think we have all been in this position at one time or another. Yeres30 my not be playing this game right now but someone on Chess.com is. Its not an uncommon position... I can lose with either move.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #22

Yereslov

Yeres is not new here. 

He knows the rules.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #23

Yereslov

scottault wrote:
    dashkee94 wrote:

Yereslov

Yeah, I don't think 8....g6 will win TN of the year, but I'm not posting on the position until I hear that this is not an on-going game.

I think we have all been in this position at one time or another. Yeres30 my not be playing this game right now but someone on Chess.com is. Its not an uncommon position... I can lose with either move.

Regardless, we cannot help a player during a game. That would be unfair.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #24

scottault

Its a good rule but I could sure boost my rateing if I could post every position of every game I ever play! lol

• 14 months ago · Quote · #25

yeres30

The game is in http://www.365chess.com/game.php?gid=2923339

Anything else?

• 14 months ago · Quote · #26

1random

Yereslov wrote:
    1random wrote:
    Yereslov wrote:

This is pretty much the refutation.

Refutation? You just copied houdini's best line, and, according to houdini, white only has a 0.30 advantage.

Isolated and doubled pawns: just what you want from an opening...

The position is much easier for white in the endgame.

They may be double isolated, but it's an extra pawn. White has to waste precious tempi in order to regain it.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #27

Yereslov

1random wrote:
    Yereslov wrote:
    1random wrote:
    Yereslov wrote:

This is pretty much the refutation.

Refutation? You just copied houdini's best line, and, according to houdini, white only has a 0.30 advantage.

Isolated and doubled pawns: just what you want from an opening...

The position is much easier for white in the endgame.

They may be double isolated, but it's an extra pawn. White has to waste precious tempi in order to regain it.

That's silly. In no way is having several pawn islands a benefit in anyway.

Being an extra pawn up doesn't matter when you are positionally weak.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #28

aggressivesociopath

I figured out what I was talking about. The 8...g6 line is discussed on pages 20-21 of Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy. The line atributed to Kasparov is 9. Bg5 Bg7 10. O-O-O h6 11. Bh4 O-O 12. f4 when 12...Re8 loses to 13. Nxc6 bxc6 14. e5. Pessi broke the troublesome pin with 11...Qd7.

In Nimzowitsch's line 9. Nxc6 bxc6 10. Qa6 Qd7 11. Qb7 Rc8 12. Qxa7 Bg7 13. O-O O-O 14. Qa6 Rfe8 Shereshevsky recomends 15. f3 Ra8 16. Qc4 refusing to move the queen to a square where it does not attack the c6 pawn and thus not allowing Black to move his queen and regroup the knight to b6 or e5 via the d7 square.

Anyway, the debate over weather 8...g6 is a mistake or pawn sacrifice is outlined in the indicated text (Euwe, Nimzowitsch and probably Capablanca himself say it was an oversight; Kasparov and McDonald think it was a positional pawn sacrifice). Incidentally the answer to the puzzle is also given in the text.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #29

Cliff86rulz

Shouldn't this go in the puzzle forum? yeres already knows the answer.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #30

ThekingAFF

Yereslov wrote:

This opening was already analyzed a long time ago. It was found to be somewhat bad for black.

Here is a game by Capablanca:

What if black played Rxa2

• 14 months ago · Quote · #31

LoveYouSoMuch

ThekingAFF wrote:

What if black played Rxa2

right

• 14 months ago · Quote · #32

aggressivesociopath

Cliff86rulz wrote:

Shouldn't this go in the puzzle forum? yeres already knows the answer.

Not really. Knowing that there is a definite solution before working on a chess position changes the way you go about solving it. I am sure most of us at least strongly suspected that this was a puzzle, but Yeres never guaranteed that it was.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #33

sisu

Let's make it happen!

Post your reply: