Forums

Which Is Stronger: 2 Rooks or 1 Queen?

Sort:
AlexZhang001

But what about 2 rooks vs. 1 Queen + a whole lot of pawns on both sides? Surely the queen is in advantage?

MarvinTheRobot

Looking from a purely theoretical perspective, two rooks are better because of their material value.

Rook + Rook = 5 + 5 = 10
Queen = 9

Of course, it does depend on the position as well. Whether there are pawn chains, open files. Also how much each king is exposed and whether the rooks (or the queen) are active, purposeful or connected.

KINGRAMSESII

There is 1 more factor that was overlooked. Whose move?

The side who got the 1st move is the stronger side.

MarvinTheRobot
KINGRAMSESII wrote:

There is 1 more factor that was overlooked. Whose move?

The side who got the 1st move is the stronger side.

Not necessarily. Tactical-time advantage is temporary. If the position is better for the other side, the side with the first move will slowly lose its initiative.

DrFrank124c

One factor not discussed is the human factor. Some people are like the queen better and are better with it. Also when some people play against the queen with the two rooks they blunder and leave one of the rooks loose and so forth. 

Irontiger

@all those posting 2R vs Q on an empty board and declaring it a draw : by this logic, a bishop is worth as much as two knights. All that proves is that 2R are not worth much more or much less than the queen.

Putting apart the "human" / "psychology" / "he doesn't know how to play" factor :

Though, on the average, they are of roughly equal value, in a typical position either the rook or the queen are much better than the other.

It depends on the position, not as usual, but more than as usual. The crucial factor is king safety - unsafe kings push towards a draw.

ivandh

Asking for advice on a game is pretty strictly prohibited. Play out the game on your own skill and ask if you made the right choice once the game is over.

PhoenixTTD

In the final of this year's world cup, Kramnik won with 2 rooks vs. a queen:

Lifixz123
windows96 wrote:

Does it matter if the rooks are 2 or 6? a rook is always weaker than queens, no matter how many of them.

Not true if u connect the rooks they re more powerful than u think

NEETHUDAS123

Rookierockrobthebank

Two rooks is way better. use one rook to pin the queen to the king and no matter what move the opponent do next, grab the queen.

thekaiberboy
equal
one234567891

2 rook i think.

Someone_e

it depends

asto0239
CuzinVinny wrote:

Well, I have went though plenty of analysis and searched through dozens upon dozens of games with 2 rook v. 1 queen games. And I have come to a slightly undazzeling conclusion...

The position is equal! Literally, perfectly equal. Like, you could create a game that had only 2 rooks against the 1 queen. Thats how equal the two varities are. 

Now, this would be a fun game to watch, 2 players with 2 kings each, but with different sets: 2 rooks or one queen. Anti-Climatic drumroll please!

I have seen many forums and blog posts about this exact topic, and its understandable; it has even happened to me a couple of times!

I will demonstrate why a queen v two rooks is a near perfect in every way. Please use you ocular muscles and bring your eyes to my diagram below!

An advanced elo rated chess computer analyzed this position for over 8 hours (left my computer running over night) and after a bashing processing depth of 48 moves, the computer concluded the position was dead equal. I checked my chess program deeper, and found that white had a +0.00019 advantage, with a 1 being up one pawn. So in all realistical logistics and statistics, if 100,000 people played at a tournament with this exact same set up, then everyone would draw, except for 19 people playing with the 2 rooks. They would win. Logically...

So in a mind shattering context, I can not make any solid conclusions :/

Pros of 2 Rooks

1). 2 pieces = more options

2). Able to coordinate with the other piece

Cons of 2 Rooks

1). If unconnected with the other rook or king, is easy prey for the queen to scoop up

2). The linear movement of a rook makes for predictability, and is easy for the opponent to calculate

Pros of 1 Queen

1). Can move diagonally

2). Is able to deliver checkmate more easily then a rook

Cons of 1 Queen

1). If pinned to the king, is automatically a lose for the player with the queen, since the rook player can force checkmate with 1 rook.

2). It's still only a single piece, and since the opponent has only the queen to focus on, will result in shrewd predictable games.

I was hoping my computer would not show the position as a 0.00, it deludes this chess post, making it icky and unwanted

So it is up to the chess community to decide! Brotheren! I call to heed your fair aid! What do you think? Which side has the greater advantage? I am really at a lose and am looking for any sort of argument that concludes one side has a stronger advantage!

"With silent lips, give me your games, your analysis, you huddled chess programs yearning to process faster" - Ancient made up chess wisdom

2 rooks are worth 10 points: 5+5=10 , And 1 queen is worth 9 points, So 2 rooks is stronger

Jake2016s
Of course 2 rooks