Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Win?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

ClavierCavalier

I played this just a bit ago and the opponent resigned, but I wonder if he had a better option but neither of us could see it.  I saw this option, but he would have lost.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

ClavierCavalier

The full game, if you're inclined to point out mistakes.  I know I got lucky with 15. ... Bxc6!  To the good players we 1000 rated players must seem like idiots.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Gump647

instead of nd7, you got extremely lucky that your blind opponent overlooked bxd8. just saying that things could have gone much diferently after you gave up that rook...

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

ClavierCavalier

I didn't even see that.  The first post is just what I thought could could have happened if they didn't resign, but I didn't see Bxd8...

So, like I said, I'm not sure he needed to resign when he did.  21. Rxe6 might have costed me the game, but he thought it was a lost cause.  I got lucky, I guess.

Maybe 20. ... Bd7 would have been better, or maybe 20.  ...  Nd7.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

Gump647

you certainly lucked out, because many opponents would have taken your quuen. Assuming he saw that, I doubt he would have resigned. I saw some errors on your part too, and if you want I can point them out when I have a little more time than I do right now.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

ClavierCavalier

Any help would be great.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

Gump647

1) I feel you played your opening semi passively.

To fix this, try to stay away from nh3 if at all possible.

2) PRIORITIZE- try to maintain an attack, especially as white. If you have the opportunity, try not moving bf3, as you did in move 10. If perhaps you had played something like  Qd4, you could have pinned that knight, allowing you to proceed to attack with minor pieces, or make him play a very passive move, like Rg8. The former would keep the pin on the knight and allow you to develop your knight to a more active square, like nf3.

3)Plan ahead- Instead of moving 12)nh3, you should have gone e6. If he captured with the pawn, you take back, if he takes your pawn with his bishop, you take his queen, otherwise, you go Bxb7, and win a pawn and a rook :) If he sees the threat and develops his knight, you take the bishop with your pawn. No matter what, you win material.

From there, an adequate position would be to place your queen on d4, attacking the king, who decided to castle into a very weak pawn structure. I hope this helps, sorry I didn't post a diagram, I'm not so great with them.

Ps. check your moves, I dare say that Rxe6 gave me nightmares!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

ClavierCavalier

I'm not a great chess player in any part of the game, but I feel like my openings are severly lacking.  I'm not sure how to go about improving with them.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

zac-koifish123

I am also unrated and feel like an inflamed ass

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

Gump647

If you want to improve openings, there are a couple of ways. 

1)experiment- play unrated with a friend, someone around your skill level.

2) back to basics- just open something simple, like e4 nf3 nc3, called the two knights defense. From there, open up your queen's pawn or fianchetto, to clear the bishop, then work on castling.

3) youtube- I've learned a lot from professional players posting videos about openings on youtube. They'll walk you through different variations black may play, and those will give you ideas on how to defend as black.

4) Chess.com- this site has a cool thing called game explorer (you can find it under the learn tab). It allows you to start a game with e4, then show the response from black. At the bottom it will list openings. You can click one of the openings and get feedback from forum users who like/dislike the opening.

Glad to help, I hope this works!

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

Scottrf

ClavierCavalier wrote:

I'm not a great chess player in any part of the game, but I feel like my openings are severly lacking.  I'm not sure how to go about improving with them.

Don't memorise moves, learn what you're trying to achieve in the opening i.e. developing your pieces, moving your king to safety, controlling the centre.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

Tapani

4. e4 is bad, since it drops a pawn.

8. g4 seems like an odd move. Bxg5 is better (develops a piece and wins a pawn).

I probably would not have castled short, your king is too vulnerable there. 

14 dxc6 seems bad to me too. Why do you take? Your opponent will just recapture with the knight and develop a piece. Let them take. Remember the phrase "to take is a mistake" (meaning many beginners capture far too often, instead of considering the consequences of their opponent capturing or just letting things be -- it does NOT mean to never capture!) 

15 Bxc6 is a blunder. Your opponent could have just taken your bishop with the knight, and won a piece.

General advice: try to "second guess" your opponents coming move - before making your move. Suddenly many moves that appear good, might appear less good.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

ClavierCavalier

Thank you all for your advice.  I am going to post another I played that I tried to be more aggressive but ended up making a huge mistake at the end.

Post your reply: