Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1100 :)

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #21

I_Am_Second

blueemu wrote:

I don't put much trust in the percentage results of databases that include games from all rating levels.

One problem is that your choice of move can often be affected by your opponent's rating... if you were an IM, would you play in the same style against a GM as against a 1600 player? So the strength of the opponent affects both your choice of lines and ALSO the result of the game (you are more likely to win against a 1600 than against a GM). This artificially inflates the percentages for certain lines.

Another problem is best illustrated by a diagram:

The 365chess database gives this move by Black a 42.9% winning percentage, compared to 35.7% for White. A good move, yes?

No. It loses by force (!) to 14. Bh6!!

Why are the winning percentages so far out of whack? Because once the refutation was discovered, nobody played that line anymore, so the percentages were "frozen" in place at the point just before the refutation was found.

This is wxactly the reason why Chess Opening Wizard is so good.  It backsolves lines that were "percentage wise" good moves, and lets you know what is played now.

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #22

mrhjornevik

I_Am_Second wrote:

This is wxactly the reason why Chess Opening Wizard is so good.  It backsolves lines that were "percentage wise" good moves, and lets you know what is played now.

you do know who learned me the french defence in the first place, right second :) After one and a half match with you and my rating is already skyrocketing. 

I will check out chess opening wizard and see what it is...

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #23

I_Am_Second

mrhjornevik wrote:
    I_Am_Second wrote:

you do know who learned me the french defence in the first place, right second :) After one and a half match with you and my rating is already skyrocketing. 

I will check out chess opening wizard and see what it is...

Thank You Sir,

But please keep in mind, that all i did was give you the tools to improve.  It was up to you to use them.  Your improvement is because of you!

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #24

yedddy

um. yeah, looks like you've done far more research than i'm able/willing to do so, yeah, good enough.

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #25

blueemu

yedddy wrote:

um. yeah, looks like you've done far more research than i'm able/willing to do so, yeah, good enough.

Actually, internet research is one of the things I'm GOOD at. It's a matter of selecting exactly the right combination of search key-words... not so much to find the information you want, as to EXCLUDE the millions of pieces of irrelevent information that you DON'T want.

Post your reply: